Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help!
I am wanting to get a 10 bolt 8.5 rear-end.
I am planning to go to a junkyard to find one
I know how to tell if it is a 10 bolt, but how do i tell if it is a 7.6, 8.2, or a 8.5? If you need to know i have a 81 ss elcamino with a 7.6 rear-end. Also,maybe could you tell me what car i could find a 10 bolt 8.5 that would fit my car. If you could help THANK YOU

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think the early 70's Nova's had the 8.5 rear(72 to 74). The 8.5 rear has a "tit" on the lower left and lower right side of the differential that is not seen on the other ten bolts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The elky is a G body setup, 4 link suspension. Only cars I know of with an 8.5 that would fit that car would be the GN or 442 of the 85-87 era. Monte SS still had the 7.5 rear.

------------------
Dave (NY)
66/70 chevelle ss396's
72 chevelle
69/71 camaros
55 chevy prostreet
61 impala bubbletop

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
although probably not useful info for your situation, i have a nova 8.5 in my camaro, and the posi unit came out of i believe a late 80's early 90's caprice, its a control arm rear end and an 8.5, but i'm sure its too wide for you. the thing is still sitting behind my garage in fact. just letting you know, maybe another possibility. good luck

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Fathead, go to drivetraindirect.com then go to the "things to know" under the home drop down. You can take it from there. I think you are looking for the Corporate rear end 8.5 in beginning in the early 70's. There is a good article on-line at www.hotrod.com titled "Budget 10-Bolt Upgrade" the article reccomends a 72 - 75 Nova as a straight swap for a 1st gen Camaro. You can pull the axel codes from some of the Nova sites. This will help in you search. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you hit the search button on this site (upper right hand corner) and look for "8.5 10 bolt" you will have about 1 hour of reading. I have just done the swap with a 73 nova rear, 80 camaro 3 series diff, and 79 T/A 3.42 gears. After I had the internal rebuild done for me, I was able to get away for about $400.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank everyone for their useful information.
But i had no luck finding a rear-end in the junkyard.
My next question is does anyone know if they make a mini spool or a locker of some kind that would fit a 7.625 or 7 5/8.(sorry i told most of you that it was a 7.5.)

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Like Dave said, Buick Grand National is the only car with a 8.5 that will bolt in your El Camino. I have built some 12 bolt Chevelle rear ends to fit these cars, but they have to be narrowed and have the lower controll arm brackets replaced. The same thing would go for a 8.5 from a early-mid '70s Monte Carlo, Cutlass or other GM car.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts