Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP ME.......I CAN'T FIGURE OUT THESE NUMBERS ON MY BLOCK TIII2IVR AND 6L143663..IF ANYONE CAN READ THESE #'S YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
I'd say you have a 1966 396-325 hp engine that was originally mated to a Turbo 400. This engine had a Rochester Carb (the last letter R) and came in a full size chevy.
I don't have any reference books as I'm in the midst of moving so perhaps someone can back me up or clarify this.
Al

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Al,
I have one more question though....Under the block, on the driverside,on the back part under the heads(whew!), the block is stamped "high performance" Did the high performance motors come in the full size vehicles? Also if you are saying that it is a 325hp, motor would that constitute the "high performance" marking? I thought all high performance motors were 375hp? I don't know........ I'm all confuzzzzed now. Any new imput would be great......Thanks again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Al is correct...it is a 1966 325HP 396, Turbohydramatic, Rochester carb, assembled at the Tonawanda NY plant on Nov 12 (1965 for the 1966 production year). This engine was installed in a passenger model (Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala, Caprice) assembled at the Los Angeles plant, serial number 143663. I'm not sure about the Hi-perf stamping (is it CAST in, or STAMPED?), as there was a 360HP 396 installed in Chevelles that year (but NOT passenger models).

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...wife's car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts