Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my vacuum advance hooked up my carb will hang up at 1,000 rpms and then settle down to 700 rpms. If you unplug the vacuum advance there is no problem. Seems like it's holding vacuum. It also has a pertronix pointless ignition and coil. Any ideas.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Check the VA canister is not leaking or sticking
check leaking bu sucking on the tube and see if it hold vaccuuum
Check sticking...remove cap, suck on in then slowly and quickly release vac....put your finger on the actuation lever and feel the movement.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
You're experiencing the "lack of vacuum blues" due to cam, most likely!....The motor doesn't have sufficient vacuum to properly work the vacuum advance canister!....I had the same prob in my 327 when it had a big hairy cam in it which only pulled 7"Hg vacuum at idle....You could try using one of those adjustable vacuum advance canisters!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Vacuum advance will raise your idle speed. That's one of the advantages of vacuum advance - the engine runs more efficiently with a bit of advance at idle. Your base idle speed should be set with the VA connected. Vacuum leaks can be exaserbated by the VA timing advance. VA increases idle vacuum slightly.

Also be sure that the mechanical advance isn't kicking in too low. You'll have to do this with a timing light and the VA disconnected. Run the throttle up and down by hand and determine where machanical advance picks up. If it's coming at at low speed (like 1000-1500 RPM) can can really foul up your idle speed and make the idle act inconsistantly.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Good point on teh VA match up. I've got a crane adjustable VA. I set the full advance to just a fuzz below full idle vacuum. There is also a cam washer that limits the full advance setting.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
dnult;Also be sure that the mechanical advance isn't kicking in too low. You'll have to do this with a timing light and the VA disconnected. Run the throttle up and down by hand and determine where machanical advance picks up. If it's coming at at low speed (like 1000-1500 RPM) can can really foul up your idle speed and make the idle act inconsistantly.[/QUOTE said:
Dave, how would I know when the mechanical advance is kicking in?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Well, you put on a timing light with the VA disconnected. Also, connect a tach-dwell meter to the distributor side of the coil (left or right terminal, not the high voltage terminal). As you increase the rpm, the timing mark will move. The rpm where the mark starts to move is where the mech adv. starts to kick in.

alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts