Team Camaro Tech banner
101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Sorry, I'm back. I put the kit on and switched to a purple spring. I tried the "paper clip" trick again. Previously the clip moved maybe 3/16"max with the standard spring. Today, I tried three different times running it up to about 5,000 rpm, and I know the VS linkage is moving but, for some reason, I keep losing the paper clip. I tried both small and large, plain metal and plastic coated. Either I'm doing it wrong or it's moving so far that the clip is popping off the thin part of the linkage rod. (Any tips?) Regardless, it pulls very well to 5,000 plus with no bogging or cutting out. I'm tempted to just call it "good enough," still I'd like to know what difference the spring made.

In addition, with the 8.5 power valve the throttle seems "peppy" enough but not enough difference from the 7.5 to tell. Not having an in-cabin vacuum gauge, I tried revving it up in gear, brakes on, wheels blocked, idling about 600 with about 17" vacuum, and, on the vacuum gauge, it seems like it drops to 8.5 pretty quickly, at a mere 1,200 rpms or so. Is that an adequate test? Does that seem about right?

It hits 1,200 rpms just leaving a stop sign naturally. I'm wondering if going to a 6.5 might save some gas?

101 - 102 of 102 Posts