Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 383 Stroker with MSD HEI... When I'm idling, the RPM will vary from 500 RPM to 700 RPM pretty consistently, like its on a cycle. Should I be worried (b/c I already am...)?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Do you have the distributor vacuum hose hooked up to the right spot on the carb.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, think so... I've had it hooked up for +1 year but this just started in the last few months (I don't drive it a lot).

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have a 383 Stroker with MSD HEI... When I'm idling, the RPM will vary from 500 RPM to 700 RPM pretty consistently, like its on a cycle. Should I be worried (b/c I already am...)?
Does your MSD distributor have a vacuum advance ?

How much vacuum does your engine have at idle ?

If you have a vacuum can, it may be "dithering in and out" at idle causing the engine to speed up and slow down.

Let us know what your setup is.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Did you make any adjustments prior to the problem? Mine did that when I connected my B28 vacuum advance can because it shot my timing up past 50* at idle and the idle went crazy idling like a Pro Charger. I had to make a VA limiter plate for the B28 can to limit it to 8* at idle.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
No not worried , just inconveinant.
1 or 2 thngs
1/ The VA is not fully activated at the engine idle vaccuum...
The engine fires up on the intial advance, pulls a vaccuum , which pulls the VA, increasing the rpms... the carb is 'fixed' mixture on the idle circuit... the engine 'runs' out of fuel slows....vaccuum drops, VA goes back... and repeats
2/The counterweight springs (1 or both) are slightly light....the sperings should holsd the counter weights in till at least 200 to 300 rpms above the stable idle rpms.
If they do not.. like the VA.. they swing out after firing up, increase advance, increase rpms til the 'fixed mixture from the carb idle circuit 'runs' out... engine slows.

Note: a Non egr engine which I assume this is, runs VA on manifold vacuum with the VA being part of the idle advance (initial+VA) to give a stable idle, and easy fire up, low starter loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts