Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idler arm and pitman arm measurements are generally taken from the center of each pivot point. See: http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#steer.

I dont see much about 67-68 measurements on that web site,I measured my idler arm and its about 5.75" on my stock one c-c and the moog I got looks to be 5.5" c-c,will this be ok or will it mess something up,Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
^^^ Yup, David's page has the pertinent info.

From the info on his page (and a bit of poking around) you may be able to get an idler for a '67 Camaro and have it be the longer one, but I'm not sure. Several places seem to list it as a unique arm relative to the 68/69 part (of course, it's also more expensive....) NPD carries them, as does Rick's Camaro parts and NAPA.

The shorter idler arm will work, but if you're changing from "long" to "short" I'd have the alignment checked as this will effect your toe slightly. I haven't measured it, but from a geometry standpoint, with the drag link at a bit of an angle (pitman arm and idler arm different lengths) you should end up with slightly different steering response right versus left. Given all of the rest of the tolerances and slop in the system, I doubt if it would be that significant, but ideally you'd want the idler and pitman to be similar lengths (any idea what length of pitman you have now?)

I think the net result with the short pitman and long idler would be that the right wheel has a slightly faster ratio than the left, so you'd pick up a bit more toe-out when turning right and a bit less toe-out when turning left -- typically, this should make the car turn right a little better than it turns left. At least in theory...

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It's very odd to me that in 68 and 69 there are two length Pitmans, 5.25" and 5.75", yet only one idler length, 5.25" for all steering combos; manual steer, Pwr Str, fast ratio and slow.

It's common sense to me that the Pitman and idler should always be the same length. But it's not the way Chevy did it in many cases.

FWIW.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ Yup, David's page has the pertinent info.

From the info on his page (and a bit of poking around) you may be able to get an idler for a '67 Camaro and have it be the longer one, but I'm not sure. Several places seem to list it as a unique arm relative to the 68/69 part (of course, it's also more expensive....) NPD carries them, as does Rick's Camaro parts and NAPA.

The shorter idler arm will work, but if you're changing from "long" to "short" I'd have the alignment checked as this will effect your toe slightly. I haven't measured it, but from a geometry standpoint, with the drag link at a bit of an angle (pitman arm and idler arm different lengths) you should end up with slightly different steering response right versus left. Given all of the rest of the tolerances and slop in the system, I doubt if it would be that significant, but ideally you'd want the idler and pitman to be similar lengths (any idea what length of pitman you have now?)

I think the net result with the short pitman and long idler would be that the right wheel has a slightly faster ratio than the left, so you'd pick up a bit more toe-out when turning right and a bit less toe-out when turning left -- typically, this should make the car turn right a little better than it turns left. At least in theory...

I measured my idler off my 68 and it is 5.25" but ran off and left my pitman arm at work today so cant measure it right now.

I also measured my pitman and idler off my 67 project and they are both 5.75".

my other ? is what about the pieces that connect the tierods to the spindles,are they the same from drum to disk cause I am putting disks on my 68 and I have a complete new setup that was on my 67 spindles and all I am swaping over.

·
10,164 Posts
Inner tie rod ends are the same size/length for 67,68,69, outers on a 67 are longer up through early 68 then there was a changeover to the shorter outers. By shorter, I mean the threaded end that screws into the tie rod adjuster (toe adjuster) The 67 long outers are expensive these days and I don't see any reason to use them, the 68 ends should work on everything.
David

·
Registered
662 Posts
my other ? is what about the pieces that connect the tierods to the spindles,are they the same from drum to disk cause I am putting disks on my 68 and I have a complete new setup that was on my 67 spindles and all I am swaping over.
Do you mean the steering arms that bolt to the spindles? David has info on his page as well, but there is no difference in steering arms between drums versus discs -- only the spindles themselves are different. There ARE 3 different length steering arms depending on power/manual and normal/fast ratio (Check David's page for the info).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you mean the steering arms that bolt to the spindles? David has info on his page as well, but there is no difference in steering arms between drums versus discs -- only the spindles themselves are different. There ARE 3 different length steering arms depending on power/manual and normal/fast ratio (Check David's page for the info).
yeah I went in and read it last night and saw the 3 different lengths that were made,I just wanted to make sure there was no difference in drum to disk,Thanks for the help.Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.