Team Camaro Tech banner
261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,024 Posts

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,280 Posts
Thanks ! ,
I have no safety binary switch? so I took my Vintage Air instruction sheet to verify and it came as an option?
On summit page, drier details is said to be replaced every time a major maintenance is made on the system.

This makes me think I 'll go back to my local AC shop and get their advice, hopefully I can install a trinary switch and get what is needed.

Not a task that is planned for now but will definitely do before AC is running.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Thanks ! ,
I have no safety binary switch? so I took my Vintage Air instruction sheet to verify and it came as an option?
On summit page, drier details is said to be replaced every time a major maintenance is made on the system.

This makes me think I 'll go back to my local AC shop and get their advice, hopefully I can install a trinary switch and get what is needed.

Pretty much anytime you open the system it's best to replace the drier

·
Premium Member
6,024 Posts
Thanks ! ,

I have never seen a Vintage Air system without a binary (or upgraded trinary) switch so that is a bit of a mystery to me. What system do you have?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Marc, It should be on the front of your AC system, on top of the drier, next to the condenser. There are blue wires running to it and it has two connectors on top. This is what you replace with the Trinary switch. I just did that swap to mine. The Binary switch has 2 wires - Trinary has 3.
Brett.....

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part
Hand Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,280 Posts
Yes Brett and Dhutton this is very clear to me.
I understand the need and how it works.
But I don't have that switch.
My AC was there when I got the car so it is (I guess) an older system.Years ago I found the instruction for my kit and the link still works :
1967-68 Chevrolet Camaro (Inet).pdf (vintageair.com)

·
Premium Member
6,024 Posts
Interesting that it is optional. Is there a binary switch in your liquid line as shown here? This system is quite old.

Font Automotive exterior Parallel Rectangle Engineering

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Nope, nothing. And on my car, the liquid line are hoses. No switch on them, I bought new hoses based on a new routing and I can say for sure.

Now, I will see with my local shop to either change the drier with a new one including the switch, or add a switch on my drier. There is a small indentation where you have the switch on the drier, so maybe a tap is possible on that area...

·
Premium Member
6,024 Posts
Nope, nothing. And on my car, the liquid line are hoses. No switch on them, I bought new hoses based on a new routing and I can say for sure.

Now, I will see with my local shop to either change the drier with a new one including the switch, or add a switch on my drier. There is a small indentation where you have the switch on the drier, so maybe a tap is possible on that area...
Drier should be replaced when the system is charged regardless since it has been opened. Not an expensive part and most have switch ports on them.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
Anyone have a part # for the Trinary switch? I have a bi on mine a should swap to the tri before I charge the system

·
Premium Member
6,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thanks all that is definitely a great post!
Now I will just disconnect the drier and investigate with this part locally to get one as a replacement... with a trinary switch :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi !

I am back, the car is almost ready now... I just assembled everything back and I have a question here.

This is about the green wire of the PWM controller from Northern Radiator.

I connected the diode to ignition 12V but still when I turn off the ignition, the fan continues to go one.
So I though maybe the diode is to be installed the other way (wrong polarity) but in this case, the fans were on all the time. So the diode must prevent the 12 V from triggering this green wire which it does.

I don't understand what this green wire is supposed to trigger, how it works with the diode and the 12V.

I'd like the fan to be turn of when the engine is off.

I bought another diode. Before again remove the battery and try the other diode, I 'd like to understand and troubleshoot, because right now I don't know what to check (and also I think the current diode is ok!)

Appart from that the PWM module works as it should (I suppose).

I just called Northern Radiator but I cannot get an answer from them so I thought maybe you can help here.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,902 Posts
Hi !

I am back, the car is almost ready now... I just assembled everything back and I have a question here.

This is about the green wire of the PWM controller from Northern Radiator.

I connected the diode to ignition 12V but still when I turn off the ignition, the fan continues to go one.
So I though maybe the diode is to be installed the other way (wrong polarity) but in this case, the fans were on all the time. So the diode must prevent the 12 V from triggering this green wire which it does.

I don't understand what this green wire is supposed to trigger, how it works with the diode and the 12V.

I'd like the fan to be turn of when the engine is off.

I bought another diode. Before again remove the battery and try the other diode, I 'd like to understand and troubleshoot, because right now I don't know what to check (and also I think the current diode is ok!)

Appart from that the PWM module works as it should (I suppose).

I just called Northern Radiator but I cannot get an answer from them so I thought maybe you can help here.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc... IIRC, I think the addition of the diode allows the fan(s) to run after the engine is shut down to further cool the radiator. I didn't add the diode on mine and when I shut the engine down the fans shut down in maybe 30 seconds. Most modern cars the fan will continue to run for a couple of minutes if everything is really hot (engine, coolant, underwood temp, outside air, etc.).

I stand corrected! Without the diode, my fans do a slow wind down from full power... almost sounds like a quieter version of my vintage Delta Unisaw LOL.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,550 Posts
Probably what I would do if I didn't have the battery there LOL. Tim... are your 12v Power and Ground connected directly to the battery?
Not to hijack this thread but yes and no. There is no real way to run every + and - to the two battery posts for all the items. I put a junction block up front that is relatively clean from a power source perspective (direct power from battery with no switched electronics on it) and same with a ground block.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
801 Posts
I used the green wire, and Yes it is a forced shutdown on switched ignition “off”.
I did it because the Mark 8 fan would stop shortly after ignition off but the ramp down was so low input the fan continued to make an audible sound without turning…..
Seems fine in my application, but I could see the reason to after run too.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thanks Guys, WOW you have it right, and this is how I wired the system as per the instructions with green wire + diode on the 12V.
However in my case it does not work…

If anybody has a knowledge how this diode and the system is meant to be working so I can test something?

Or I could/will just live with it.
But as WOW explained I feel like there is no need for this extra cooling operation with fan at low speed and it makes an unpleasant whinning noise + it takes amps out of the battery…

261 - 280 of 302 Posts