Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 69. Can I just switch to a BBC heater core box and heater core? I know the SBC box has clearance issues. Then I just have to change springs and mounts etc?

·
Registered
951 Posts
worked fine with me, i have a sbc with a bbc heater core and bbc firewall cover. the heater box itself, inside the car, is the same size

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey...on my 67 all i done was turn the core over and re-drill the holes to suit..ill try and
put the pik up....i've not long finished the swap to BB.....Yeeehaaaa is all i can say
Gav

·
Registered
61 Posts
Heres a pik of the SB heater core turned over and re-drilled
Hope it shows up ok lol

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Don't forget you also will need a Big block transmission crossmember, or your engine will sit crooked and you will have a hard time getting headers to fit.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I always wondered why Chevy didn't use the BB heater core set-up for all cars. Oh well,..
Me too. That's what Pontiac did.

And the turned upside down and redrilled box (with turned upside down heater core) works just fine. I did this for years on a couple of cars before I bought the correct pieces. Don't forget to put a grommet in the holes or you'll end up slicing the hose(s).

And, as mentioned, you'll need a BB cross member regardless of trans as the BBC sits over to the right by 1-1/2" for steering box clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts