Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mickey Thompson couldn't help me when I called them yesterday, so I'm turning to my brothers on team Camaro. I was in the tire business for 9 years, so I realize that to get the tire height, you take the circumference and divide by pi (3.14159). All I want is if someone has sportsman rear tires in the 29x15.5x15 size on the back of their ride, could you take a tape measure and eyeball from the ground to the top of your tire and tell me about how many inches????? Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
32,351 Posts
Your tire is showing you the diameter already, 29". But, this is dependent upon the width of wheel its mounted, how much weight is loaded, and air pressure in tire itself. You already know this and the rest of the story.

Now, if 10.5 tire is mounted on an 8.5 rim, then the tire is going to "grow" in diameter due to centrifugal force at speed and "ballooning" of sidewalls at rest. Tire could grow an additional 2-3 inches diameter minimum at 115 mph. The same 10.5 tire on a 10 inch rim may only grow 1-2 inches in height.

I run a 28.5 X10.5 slick on an 8.5 rim and I have a flat palm and an extra finger of clearance between the tire and qtr panel. My slick rubs.

·
Registered
953 Posts
dubs68camaro...
I have 29X18.5X15 MT's on my car (see my sig). The height would be the same as the 15.5 tire you asked about. I can measure them tonight if you'd like. Let me know. I would think width is going to be a problem with the 15.5 unless you already did a mini tub or something. My car has full tubs.

Mark

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dubs68camaro...
I have 29X18.5X15 MT's on my car (see my sig). The height would be the same as the 15.5 tire you asked about. I can measure them tonight if you'd like. Let me know. I would think width is gonig to be a problem with the 15.5 unless you already did a mini tub or something. My car has full tubs.

Mark
Yes....that would be great. This is not a racing slick question. I understand how they grow. Just watch a fuelie leave the line. I'm just trying to get a ROUGH idea.

P.S. You make me sick Mark.............That's one wicked '69!!!! What's that thing sticking out of the hood though???? Is that where you keep the hotdogs warm???

Didn't confusious one say "injection is nice.....but I'd rather be blown"???

·
Registered
953 Posts
dubs68camaro,
I measured the tire height as they sit on my car. They are a little over 29 inches in the center of the tread with the slight crown on top of the tire. It adds about 1/2" to 3/4" to the total height. So the advertized size is just about right. Remember my tires are 3 inches wider than the ones you asked about, so mine might have a bit more crown to them in the center.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts