Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your first generation Camaro, what headers do you recommend for fit and performance? I will be replacing the ZZ4 crate motor with a worked 400 smallblock backed by a 400 trans. There are several header options. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks.
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I have an aluminum head 400 running thorley 376 Y1C headers. These are worth the extra money they cost. Heavy flanges, they tuck up under the car real nice and clear the P/S box by about an inch. And as a bonus they look good too!

·
19,873 Posts
I have Hooker Comps 1 5/8" tubes.
Manual steering box and 350th tranny if that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I have the older design Hedman 65003's which match my ProTopline exhaust port well. I like the Dougs/Thorleys but the port is too small in their tri-y design.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm going with my old 1 3/4" hooker s/c

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Keep it coming. It's a 540 hp 408 sbc. I'm leaning toward the 1-5/8".

Anyone have to make any cuts in the firewall or elsewhere?

Jim

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Keep it coming. It's a 540 hp 408 sbc. I'm leaning toward the 1-5/8". Anyone have to make any cuts in the firewall or elsewhere?Jim
a 1 5/8" header may reduce that 540 HP, just go 1 3/4" the price should be almost the same

cut the firewall for what reason?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I run 1 3/4 hooker super comps, it's an automatic w/ power steering and all fits well. I had to make the slightest clearance dimple by the pitman arm, but thats it.
I agree with 1 3/4 headers at that power level. Though 1 5/8 wouldn't be too far off you have no more room to grow.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I'll begin my hunt for a set of 1-3/4".

I heard that a spacer may be needed for the 1-3/4. I'm usually the type person that just buys one of each, but want to turn over a new leaf and go with what works best the first time.

Good info.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I didn't need any spacer. What heads do you have? Actually, make sure your exhaust port size matches the headers. I couldn't grind enough on 1 5/8" headers to make them match my ProTopline heads.

·
19,873 Posts
I know the 1 5/8" may be hurting me now with new cam (est. 500+) but gonna run what I have for now (cam swap ended up $1700 maybe more :sad:)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't need any spacer. What heads do you have? Actually, make sure your exhaust port size matches the headers. I couldn't grind enough on 1 5/8" headers to make them match my ProTopline heads.
Running Crane Fireball heads on this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts