Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was going thru a manual for a 67 and i seen that it has a capacitor inline with the ignition is this true? if so where is it and what does it look like i need help i`ve been trying to get this thing started since feb. thanks for any help at all. kenny

·
Super Moderator
32,349 Posts
If you have points ignition, you will have a capacitor, the round cylinder, in a parallel path with the point set. This would be mounted under the distributor cap. Replace the point set and condensor (capacitor) at the same time.

If there is a capacitor, round cylinder, on the outside of the coil, it is a noise filter and usually connected to the + post of the coil.

On the positive post of the coil, there should be two wires connected to it. One would be a yellow wire coming from the starter solenoid, the second would be a cloth covered wire from the firewall connector from over by the driver's hood hinge.

Disconnect the wires and use a meter or test light to check for voltage during starting and ignition position. Reconect wires if voltage is present, otherwise, troubleshoot for lack of voltage.

Adjust point set for .019 inch gap with rubbing block on high point of cam in distributor. After, adjusting, turn engine to close point set. A quick check of ign system is to temporarily replace the high tension coil lead with a plug wire and spark plug, ground the spark plug, turn ign key to IGN, and open point set by hand. Should get a good spark at plug evert y time point set is open.

Reconnect every thing back up, hookup a timing light, loosen the dist holddown bolt, close the choke, pump in some gas, point timing light to timing marks, and start the engine. Turn dist accordingly to adjust initail timing.

Make sure spark plugs are dry and not covered with fuel. Fresh fuel? Good battery?

This should get you started. Keep us posted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts