Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
restoring the ingnition harness today on the camaro i noticed the the terminal locations for the ingnition side in the plastic block are not in the same location that my 68 manual says they should be.the purple start wire is ok, wipers ok,temp,oil,heater,allthere but im left with a reddish/fadedto pink? 10 gauge wire.where does this go.my 69 book hasnt showed up yet in the mail! can any one get me going on this

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry don't have a diagram. It sounds like you are working on the inside bulkhead connector from the wires you call out. The bulkhead connector has contacts on it and mates with the connector in the firewall.
It also sounds like you are working on the engine harness connector. The one that ties to the items on the engine.
If so, i'm guessing that the wire you are looking at is the pink ignition wire. On an original points car comes from the ignition switch and it becomes the braided resistor wire that goes to coil (+).
*EDIT*
If you are on the engine side of the firewall and you have HEI, perhaps someone replaced the resistor wire.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-10-2002).]

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john you are right,but the calibrated wire for points are not bieng used by me.an HEI is in now.the pink wire is cut off only 8inchs left by some one.we never used it. but the car ran before.this wire doesnt show up in the 68 book.is the sixty nine different.can some one scan the front harness and e mail to [email protected] thanks.or keep writing ill give more info.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thankyou,for the diagram,this 10gau is joined with the resistance wire at the bulk head.it looks factory to me. drawing says the resistor wire from the bulk head goes to coil. from there it goes to left side of starter/not the start terminal but the other side of (s) terminal from what i see.do they want the red-pink to go to the non-(s)terminal on the starter?i remember 75-up chevys have this for cold season starts.is this right?i could use input.thanks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well the diagram didn't come from me. Don't have one, don't need one. A couple of things. No factory schematic is going to show the HEI. It didn't exist in that car. If it is a HEI input, joining the wire is wrong. The original resistance wire needs to be fully removed and replaced with the strained wire for the HEI.
With HEI you do not need the return wire fron the starter solenoid. The solenoid "R" terminal doesn't exist on modern solenoids.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guys,i would like to figure out what this other pink/red wire is for before i hook up the HEI.i know factory manuals dont show HEI,sorry if thats what it sounded like.so lets pretend its still a point ignition sytem in the car now.so we can figure out this 10gauge red/pink wire and where it goes and what it used to do.because it might have to stay or go i dont want to remove it to find out i needed it!.this 10gau pink/red was connected to the resistance wire at the bulk head by GM,whats it for and what did it feed when the car was built?regardless of it bieng needed or not.this car ran 2years ago with point ign.i should of said that.sorry.like i said it was cut short and left there taped up.i want to fix it right and figure it out it had to do something.its a 400sb,no a/c, thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Late68,
I see a 12 gauge red wire coming out of the lower bulkhead connector(engine side), 5th cavity down on left side (looking from the front of the car) that goes to the horn relay and key buzzer. It splices to a 16 gauge black fusible link on the horn relay. The splice is probally taped up so you may not see the 12 gauge red wire just looking at the horn relay. This wire feeds the ignition switch, headlight switch, and instrument cluster.
Hope this helps.
Drew

·
Registered
523 Posts
Didn't think GM used an Idle Stop Solenoid in 69, but could be wrong. Thought they came out in 70.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-11-2002).]

·
Registered
326 Posts
Late68, the only other wire I saw in a 69' diagram on the the engine side of bulkhead connector was a 20 gauge pink w/black tracer which goes to horn relay also, terminal #4. The connector is a flat 1/4" female connector but it is no where near the carburetor. I verified it looking at my car. These two wires are the only "factory" ones I see that are red or pink on the engine harness.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just a thought that might make some sense. I think the bulkhead connectors are the same between the 69 and 70. That is, they are the same physical size. Could be wrong again but maybe one of the experts here knows that answer.
Beyond that, what if the pin-outs between the 69 & 70 were the same. They don't need to be. Pins can be moved around but speculating that they are.
The 70 engine harness does contain the extra pink wire that Late68 is talking about. It's a 12 gage but that's close enough to a 10. Believe that it goes into the same contact as the resistor wire.
Just guessing around but what if the original engine harness was changed? Maybe the original owner had a problem under the warranty and the dealership replaced it with a later harness to fix the problem. Maybe that's what he could get the fastest. I dunno, might explain the wire that looks factory but I still think doesn't go on the year car.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
didnt get a camara yet,bur john muha i would like to buy you a cyber beer!from me to you.i was thinking the same thing about the ignition harness.it could be out of a different car so i pulled one of a 69 camaro front clip a guy was parting out in town for 10bucks,the 10 guauge wire like john says connects with the same contact as the resitor wire.this 10gau wire is all there with a heat sleeve,and a small quarter inch female connector.this wire is way way to short to reach the horn relay like drew69 says.anyone recomend a good camera to buy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wow, You guys have me baffled. My car is a late 3rd week of Sept. 69' build date.

I don't see a wire for an idle stop solenoid for a 6 or 8 cylinder on a 69'. Why would you need a 10 or 12 gauge wire for this anyway?

Not to shoot your theroy down John but it is almost impossible to get a wiring harness for a car that is one year old under warranty. That has been my experience not to say it couldn't happen and I'm talking recently not 33 years ago. The body guys know, try getting body parts for a current production model. Better stand in line with a ticket with a # on it and hope it's your lucky month. Wiring harnesses are harder to get than body parts. What's the VIN # on the car your dealing with Late68?

You've got me stumped. 10 to 12 gauge wire means 30 amps at least to me and those sizes feed the fuse panel or starter on a 1st Gen.

Drew

·
Vendor
125 Posts
Some 1969 Camaro's did have an idle stop solenoid. Typically it was only on automatic cars (some). Our OEM manufacturing prints show a revision date of 9/23/68, adding the idle stop wire to the engine harness. It is a 12gauge pink wire protected with tar impregnated loom. We have had original '69's in the shop which had the idle stop wire, and had some without.
As we developed our buisness to manufacture the most original applications possible, we also had the same questions arise that are listed here. Through our research, and original Packard Electric (GM) documentation, the information that I have noted appears to be correct.
What does this mean to you? If your car does not currently have an idle stop wire or solenoid, and shuts off fine, then don't use one. Also (FYI) if you do get a new wiring harness, and plan to use an HEI distributor in the future, order the harness with the idle stop wire, as this is a heavy 12V ignition feed which can run the HEI unit. I hope this info helps.
-Factory-Fit Wiring

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's great information. I've learned something. Just curious if there is any companion GM documentation showing the idle stop solenoid installed in 69. Haven't seen any but I haven't seen a lot of things.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks Camarocopo for clearing this up. I will have to look at the date on my wiring diagram and see what it has. Another mystery solved.

I wonder if CRG is aware of this idle stop solenoid? I don't recall reading anything about it on their web site.

Regards, Drew

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Pages 354 and 356 of my copy of the 1969 Camaro Factory Assembly Manual show the installation of the anti dieseling solenoid on a 6 and 8 cylinder automatic car.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi ( 454 now)
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

1 - 20 of 20 Posts