Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!
i drove the camaro under hard rain today, and i faced ignition problems while driving. the car finally stopped without idling no more . should it come from humidity that involves electric stromming losses?
I mean.. the electric current losses?

thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Poor insulation on the sparkplug wires can cause problems. Also if you are getting moisture in the distributor cap it will cross fire. Electricity is lazy, it will take the easiest path to ground and that is not always the sparkplugs. Carbureted engines also tend to run rich with low atmospheric pressure and moist air.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The old breaker points style distributors were really bad about getting moisture under the cap. I think it was primarily due to the little dwell adjustment door letting moister in. I think WD-40 was invented to clear a wet distributor. :D Spray it around inside the cap and see if it doesn't fire up and run. If it does, then look for a crack in the cap, or other ways for moisture to get inside.

-dnult

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Kevin, on the cowl to hood seal, where does the water go with the seal in place?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks!
i have a SS hood, i don't know about the cowl seal. where is it?
I have a electronic distributor. Mallory unilite.

And my spark plugs wire are recent msd wires, so i guess the insulations are corrrect.

Marc

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cowl seal is on the top edge of the firewall, slips (zippers) under a lip runs the width of the fire wall, directs water to the outer edges,
usally this seal will never stay in place when worn out. open the hood and one side will always need tucking back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts