Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1976 camaro LT and the ignition doesn't work on it, i'm assuming it's the ignition switch, as the distributor and everything is new. I'm not a mechanic but i'm learning as I go. My problem is i have no idea where the ignition switch is, or if there's a way to test to see if that really is the problem. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's on the top lower portion of the steering column near the pedals. First you have to make sure you are getting at least 12.5 volts constant power into the switch which will be around a 10 gauge red wire. If so, then you know you have good power through the horn relay from the battery. If not you have to check battery power, altenator output, and voltage droppage between battery/horn relay and horn relay/ignition switch. Then you can check for power out of the switch when it's in the run position at the switch or the positive of the coil. If it has less than 12 volts the switch is worn and needs to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
To add to '69's suggestions, you find the horn relay, disconnect the battery ground, remove the two red wires on the h/relay buss bar and wire brush everything, then reassemble. Might do the same to the junction block next to the battery.

At the fusebox, you might remove the fuses and use a cotton swab soaked in alcohol and clean the fuse sockets. Once you find the ignition switch above the steering column, disconnect and reconnect the connector. Corrosion thing, you know.

Good luck and keep us informed, we like to see you back on the road.
Welcome to the Club!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts