Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 67 rs camaro, everything from the alternator, regulator, battery, relays, starter& solenoid are new and have been retested. My problem is that sometimes the car won't start, not even crank the engine. I can hear the clicking on one of the relays. Once I put the jumper cables it starts right away. I have checked the wiring and everthing seams to be o.k. I can start the car by bypassing the ignition under the car between the starter and solenoid with s screw driver. Getting to be anoying Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Clean the battery cable clamps and the other end of the cable as well. If they are the clamp-on clamps, replace the whole cable with the molded clamps and get at a minimum, #2 AWG cable.

Once started, check charging voltage at the battery posts. Compare this reading with the Alternator terminal. Should be within a 1/2 volt.

There is a buss bar on the horn relay with two big red wires, clean this connection, and over by the battery on the radiator support, is a junction block,, clean this connection as well.

Ground the body to the engine and the engine to the battery.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If this is happening after the car has sat for awhile, you may have a electrical drain problem. Otherwise, You are probably either experiencing a voltage drop on the S wire and/or your ignition switch may be bad ... You are obviously getting some power since you hear the click. If you can't find the culprit, you can consider using a remote solenoid. They have been discussed here many times before and are easy to connect. Some people use them to address heat-soak problems. The remote solenoids work because they can switch with as little as 7 to 9 volts, but still provide a full 12 volts to your starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts