Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the ignition switch on my 67 camaro, I have the spanner nut loose so it spins freely but the switch will not pull out. The nut is still retained somehow. Is there a special trick or do I just need to force it? Thanks, Brent

------------------
Prostreet 67 L-78 SS 396 project. Daily driven S-10 blazer: 355/700r4. 12.56 et. @ 108 mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem on my 68. What I found out was the stainless cover was a little larger than the nut. If you can get under the edge, take a small screwdriver and gently pry off the cover. I just kept applying pressure and wiggling it and the cap popped off. After that, the switch slid out easily.

Roy

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you remove the lock part, it will come apart without any hassle. Put the key in the lock, turn it the the ACC position and insert a paperclip into the small hole and push it a bit. Then you should be able to turn it left a little more and pull the lock out. Then the nut will come off.

------------------
Rob Rice
[email protected]
http://members.nbci.com/robr54

·
Registered
230 Posts
RobR is right - - DO NOT FORCE IT WITH A SCREW DRIVER - -

follow his instructions and it will literally fall right out -

The bezel (nut) is designed to only come off AFTER the ignition is out.

Steve

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, worked great. Brent

------------------
Prostreet 67 L-78 SS 396 project. Daily driven S-10 blazer: 355/700r4. 12.56 et. @ 108 mph.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A little note of caution. When removing the key insert of the lock. Disconnect the battery first. You will fry the switch. I found out the hard way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts