Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1969 Camaro, auto on the column, swapped a 6 cylinder for a v8 hei. Installed new AAutoWire engine harness all wired properly. So when I turn key to on position, the starter turns,(before it gets to the spring loaded point) engine cranks but starter continues to turn. Swapped out switches with same outcome. All answers welcome!

· Registered
1,540 Posts
I really doubt there is an issue with the new harness or your ignition switch.

If everything is wired properly, then there should be no issues SO I have to think it's an installation issue.

If you have the wires backwards on the starter solenoid on the small studs, then when you turn the key to the run position, the solenoid is then getting power and the motor will be cranking over.

Maybe too, a wired terminal on the starter solenoid is rotated and making connection to something it should be connected to ?.

Jim

· Premium Member
1,411 Posts
/\ /\ /\
Unless you are using the resistor wire for an old points distributor there is no reason to connect both of the "small terminals" on the starter solenoid. The wire that's getting the momentary power is purple and should be on terminal marked "S"

· Registered
892 Posts
if you had the switch on the column off maybe you mist the slot and its all the way forward or it needs a Adjustment like Shannon said

16,879 Posts
Turn key switch closes. 12v purple wire to S terminal on starter. Solenoid engages the bendix and then the starter motor spins. Release key from start position switch opens. No 12v to starter S term. Bendix retracts and starter motor stops spinning.

This means if the starter motor turns before or after the key is in the start position either the starter or the switch on the column is not wired correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts