Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
i have a 1981 camaro that i have had trouble starting for quite some time now. i have replaced the starter in hopes that i had a bad seleniod but thats not the problem. when i push my key to the run position everything works correctly and when i pull it back to the ACC everything works fine. when i push it to the start position nothing happens the engine wont turn, i have checked my wiring and have found nothing funny, my starter switch has not been tampered with and is clearly connected to the ignition switch. i dont have any neutral safety switches either.
any suggestions i thought there was a good possibility that the ignition switch is no good?
thanks
ryan

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
There is a rod that attaches to the key switch assembly inside the column. Down towards the firewall on the top of the column is a switch that this rod hooks to. When the rod moves up and down it slides the contacts on the switch. There are 2 screws holding it on and you can adjust it up and down.

It might need adjustment or just replace it. Sounds like the contacts are bad on the switch. This switch is also part of the neutral safety switch depending on what position the key is to the rod on the switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts