Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just rplaced my engine and tranny...now my ignition wont turn past the unlock space,,,it unlocks and turns to acc...but does not turn on dash guages or lights or start..i sure could use some help

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Do you have a '69 with a manual trans and "back drive" linkage?? This is a linkage that forces you to put the car in reverse to get the key out of the ignition. If you didn't hook it back up when you replaced the engine, you could have this problem.

Try rotating the steering column "cuff" counter-clockwise. This is the part of the column just below the ignition key where the shifter would stick out if you had a column shifted automatic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a 86....but i guess it might be on the fire wall side..engine side...its hooked to tranny like its supposed to be..is it possible ithas another adjustment underhood?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm guessing that there has to be an arm coming off of the transmission besides the shifter to lock the wheel and the ignition.

------------------
69 convertible
LT1 4L60E

·
Registered
168 Posts
When you turn the ignition key, can you turn the steering wheel? There is a rod that is mounted on the left hand side of the steering column that locks the steering wheel in a neutral position until power is applied to it. Sometimes, when there is a lot of pressure on this rod the key will not turn in the lock. You will often have to force the steering wheel to the left to get the key to turn. Try this and see what happens. Other than that, you might have a bad ignition lock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well...it will turn to unlock and to acc...but that is iti see the 2 rods..1 is ignition rod and other is high beams ...culd it be an electtricle sensor?.....i dunno..i drove it fr 2 yrs..and it alwys worked..now that i have replace everything...its messed up.....it confuses me

·
Registered
168 Posts
Greetings BCcamaro,
I know it's bad but I'm assuming that you have an automatic transmission! When you changed out your transmission, what manual did you use for a guide? Also, did you disconnect any wires or cables on the steering column under the dash? If you did, I'm thinking that maybe you disconnected the park/lock cable. It is located on the l/h side of the steering column. If you would like, I can send you a picture of it.
The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Greeting BCcamaro,
Check your E-mail, I just sent you some info and you should be getting it shortly unless it breaks your electronic mailmans back and he sends it back to me.
Hope this helps some!
The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts