Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this is easy, cuz I only paid a locksmith $ 5.00 to do it. But I have decided to instlall a tilt column, so i have to do it again.
I can see in the AIM how to install a new one, but how do I take it out of the old one?
It's a new lock, with a key.
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Poke a paper clip wire into that small hole on the switch cover, push in and turn the key to the left. The switch should then pull out. Hope this helps.
Robert.

------------------
68 Base Coupe, 327/210hp with TH400
99 Silverado

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Column is at the paint shop, but I'll go over there and do what you suggest. I knew it had to be simple, considering that locksmiths charge 50 bucks for 2 minutes work. I knew 5 bucks had to be 2 seconds work
Thanks, again

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
If you're removing the ignition lock cylinder
in a 69 or newer, if the steering wheel is already off, you'll need to get the tool for removing the lock plate. This is a depressor that allows you to remove the clip that holds the lock plate on the shaft.

Then the horn contact comes out.

Put the key in the "run" position, remove the "key reminder" contact with needle nose pliers.

Remove retaining screw.

Pull out cylinder.

(the key must be in run position to reinstall key reminder contact)

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
Pro-Touring.com DropTop
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 12-21-2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you have a dash mounted ignition switch, I think you're going to have to find someone with a set of "half-cuts" (maybe your local Chevy dealer has someone who remembers 8> ).
Again, the right way to do it is to use a bent paper clip or small drill bit with the switch in the (I think) Accessory position. When you get the detent pushed, the lock pops out.
Good Luck,
JJH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts