Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a "hypothetical" question....

I know that R-12 is not made anymore and it is a controlled substance that only licensed HVAC personnel should handle... but...

Suppose "someone" had 3 cans of R-12 refrigerant in their garage and that "someone" did not have a need for it anyomore. Would it be considered illegal for that "someone" to sell these containers of R-12, say on "Ebay"?

Just a question... thanks!

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 3/7/02)

·
Registered
403 Posts
don't sell it on ebay...
sell it locally,ask your fav. Garage,if they would like to buy it/trade it or work etc..
was worth about $35 a can last time i asked my local A/C installer,or check your local Auto parts store see if they will give you half cost they sell it for in exhchange for parts/oil filter etc you need... just an Idea

------------------
'67 RS/SS 427,4 Speed
Disc brakes,console, fold down rear seat,heater,
Radio Delete, Cowl hood,front,rear spoilers,
Black/black white bumblebee stripe

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
I agree, barter with it locally there for time on a lift, parts, tires,etc. its a neat idea. Steve I ended up with Autolite 85's since the fleet farm store I went too does not carry AC. They had champion, autolite and NGK. Got the new cap, rotor, plugs installed and what a difference, WOW runs much better. Not new like a fresh rebuild engine, but steady and smooth.
Thanks again
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Its not worth that any moore.There are other freons that mix with R12 and are much cheeper and as good.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Oger - I looked all over the CoCo County area for the new FR-12 last weekend - got blank stares from all the 'good' parts house too. I sent e-mail to company asking for local suppliers and Material Application and Data Sheets. Will post any response I get.

[This message has been edited by Vintage 68 (edited 05-13-2002).]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Read that web page Carefully, FR-12 is not designed to MIX with R-12 But is more Compatable in an Existing R-12 system, As far as the Sale of 12oz. Cans of R-12 to even Possess it any longer you need Certification (section 609) From the EPA as R-12 Depletes the Ozone Layer.

The EPA has the right if you sell it on Ebay or to anyone who does not hold Certification to Impose a Fine of $25,000.00 and up to 10yrs in the pokey.

I have to deal with that situation every day being a Heating and A/C mechanic.

<edit> Check out this link http://www.epa.gov/oalj/orders/tower.htm

[This message has been edited by Rsmith1969 (edited 05-13-2002).]

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whew... good thing I don't have any!

------------------
Steve - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> My Camaros (updated 3/7/02)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts