Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions. I have a 69 Camaro with a 454 under construction. I have been told, and I have read on this site that there are two radiator supports for the Camaro. One for a small block, and one with a larger radiator opening for a big block. Try as I might, I cannot locate any info to verify this. I have asked around and checked the GM and Fisher manuals. No mention of any difference or reference to a difference. The repro catalogs only list one. What is the real deal?

Second question. When I installed my repro grille and tried to put on the headlight bezels, teh bezels stick out about a 1/2 inch past teh lights. NOT RIGHT!! I tried a set of real GM bezels, same thing. I checked the install of eh headlight buckets and everything seems to be just ducky. Could it be a bad repro (unheard of) grille? Has anyone else run into this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
There is only one core support for 67 thru 69 Camaros. While the mounting holes for things that attach to the core support (like voltage regulators, headlight buckets etc) may be different there is still only one support. There are different radiators and fan shrouds for small blocks and big blocks though. The opening in the core support is bigger than the finned area of the smallblock radiator, and just about equal with a big block radiator.

Did you replace the front fenders? If so then your grille problem results from using the RS fenders. These are the only fenders being made and they have a set of mounting ears for the RS headlight setup thats about an inch forward of where the standard grille assembly mounts. Break these tabs off (or bend them out of the way) and you should be able to get the bezels to mount correctly.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Mark. I really didn't think there were two supports for the Camaro. I did replace the fenders with real GM Stuff. They were for a standard coupe, not RS, but I will check the mounting tabs. The grille fits the header and fenders fine, as well as the headlights "seem" to be in the right relationship. It's just the bezels that seem to throw the whole thing off. I am beginning to think the grille is not deep enough. Anybody else with any suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts