Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, hopefully you can help with this problem I am having. I just finished restoring my car, and after having it on the road for only about 300 miles, the power steering pressure hose cracked (the only hose in the entire car I didn't replace.) Well, I went and bought new pressure and return hoses, and went to install them. Thats, where I ran into my problem. I can't get the fittings at the steering box loose. I tried using penatrate fluid and everything. Any people had this same problem? Any advice? Thanks

Dan

------------------
67-327, 700r4 trans, 9:1 Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Dan -

Are you using a flare nut wrench or a regular open-end? The flare nut wrench will apply more torque to the hex without rounding it off. There's another option - if you're trashing the hose anyway, cut the tube just above the nut and use a 1/2" drive 6-point socket with a long extension and breaker bar to put more torque on it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I had the same problem, the 6 point socket trick John Z mentioned worked for me. Just try to crimp the metal line shut below where you cut it so the metal shavings don't fall inside (especially if you use a hacksaw instead of a pipe cutter).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts