Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing a Edelbrock 7104 Performer RPM intake manifold on my 69 SB and have a problem. I can not get the secondaries to open no matter what I do. I've tried adjusting the throttle linkage rod in all 4 of the positions on the carb and no matter which position I use the secondaries will not open. If I disconnect the rod and actuate the throttle lever manually they will open. I'm stumped and need your help. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
It's a Quadrajet, the part number is 7040502 if that helps.
Do you have the automatic choke hooked up properly? If it's a divorced choke you'll need the correct thermostat and pull off rod in order for the choke to open fully. On a Quadrajet the secondaries aren't able to open until the choke is "off" or open.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the automatic choke hooked up properly? If it's a divorced choke you'll need the correct thermostat and pull off rod in order for the choke to open fully. On a Quadrajet the secondaries aren't able to open until the choke is "off" or open.
It's a divorced choke and I bought and installed the longer rod. It's almost like there is not enough throttle pedal travel to get the secondaries to open.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Theres a pin on the throttle shaft that keeps the second. closed while the choke is on and will not let them open til the choke is warmed up,you will see it under and a little aft of the choke body...Good luck and Happy Motoring

·
Super Moderator
32,451 Posts
It's a divorced choke and I bought and installed the longer rod. It's almost like there is not enough throttle pedal travel to get the secondaries to open.
One end of the rod should be threaded to allow the nut to run up & down, usually at the carb. see here:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf_id=RC-379&dept_id=3151

Also, make sure the firewall assembly is in good shape and the arm is not cocked or rounded out at the shaft and the bushing is not broken.

Have an assistant hold the throttle WOT and you hold the carb at WOT and adjust the nut to slide into the hole.

Make sure the throttle can return to idle on its own after hook-up/adjustment.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One end of the rod should be threaded to allow the nut to run up & down, usually at the carb. see here:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf_id=RC-379&dept_id=3151

Also, make sure the firewall assembly is in good shape and the arm is not cocked or rounded out at the shaft and the bushing is not broken.

Have an assistant hold the throttle WOT and you hold the carb at WOT and adjust the nut to slide into the hole.

Make sure the throttle can return to idle on its own after hook-up/adjustment.
That's the rod we adjusted and we did it just like you referred to Everette. The only thing that I can see is the throttle bracket with the hole for the rod hits the spark plug loom bracket when you try and go full throttle. I need to take a look at it again this evening.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
as everett said...we ran out of adjustment on our firechicken, so i cut a notch out of the bracket,bent it a little, and welded it back together...(but we dont have anything stock in it)i`m amazed at how often i see a pedal in an older car that wont allow full throttle!!!

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
First off, a Q-Jet's top secondary air doors WON'T open until under load!

You can tweak them to open sooner or later by adjusting the little-bitty allen set screw by backing off the lock screw. Both are on the pass. side of the carb at the end of the top butterfly's shaft housing. I think the allen screw is on the bottom, it's been years??

Only adjust the allen set screw like say, an 1/8th a turn EITHER way for starters and be careful b/c if the spring get's away from you, you will have to reposition and reset it by feel a couple of time's until you get it right.

Ask me how I know.

As for a choke, I didn't have it hooked up on my 406, I just pumped her a couple of times and away it would start when it was cold.

pdq67

·
Super Moderator
32,451 Posts
The secondary throttle plates will open with the linkage when placed in WOT, and one might see the air valve start to open, but by then, if there is no bog, air door spring adjusted correctly and initial timing is correct, and choke is fully opened, the engine rpm is up around 5K.

One should be able to 'snap' open the throttle and the engine rpms smoothly. I have adjusted the spring up to 1 1/4 turns to stop it from bogging upon immediate WOT. Road test will help. Air valves do open rather quickly and they should, a smooth transition from idle to WOT.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help guys and I may need some more. Haven't had a chance to test drive it since Thursday night when the front universal joint decided to come apart on me on my way home from a friends house. So with that behind me now it's back to the throttle travel issue.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it working, had to remove the choke and adjust the throttle linkage rod. Can't tell if it was the intake manifold or the choke or a combination of both but boy does it have some good power now. Yee ha my 69 SB flys now. Time for headers and exhaust now. Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts