Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine took on a new line of cameras at his store and asked me to try one out. I just loaded a sample video for him to look at on to Youtube and I thought some of you might like it. The video is me driving my 66 Chevy II (stock eliminator car in the J/S class). It is a 283 and a four speed and runs mid 11s in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We leave and shift at 7200-7400 RPM depending on conditions. This run actually had a miss on the top end right at the end of the pass. We found a sparkplug with an almost impossible to find crack in the porcelain and that fixed it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Cool video Joe. Love that "bang" when you hit those shifts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was .03-.05 all day which is good in some circles and late in others. On this day it was good enough for a couple of round wins before I got nailed in the semi-finals by a .003 light and a dead on run from my buddy racing at 83 Mustang GT in the N/S class. I can give him a little break since he runs a four speed and was the orginal guniea pig for the in car video. I won't put a Mustang video on camaros.net but if you look on Youtube for videos by NHRA3168 you can see his in car video too.

·
Super Moderator
32,519 Posts
Nice video. I applaud you people running Super Stock or Stock classes. You're restricted by rules as to what you can run, must run OEM items and for the same year, thus you must read between the lines to gain oneupmanship on the competition. This makes it expensive.

There is another Stock racer from Nebraska runs a '56 Chev s/wagon w/265 in the mid-11's, or did a few years ago. Like yours, an awesome ride.

The Germans took the first '55 265 V8 and gained more power, read more rpm's, by replacing the friction bearings with anti-friction bearings and stiffer valve springs. They obtained 14K rpm. NHRA rulebook says nothing about bearing materials nor of piston coatings.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nice video. I applaud you people running Super Stock or Stock classes. You're restricted by rules as to what you can run, must run OEM items and for the same year, thus you must read between the lines to gain oneupmanship on the competition. This makes it expensive.

There is another Stock racer from Nebraska runs a '56 Chev s/wagon w/265 in the mid-11's, or did a few years ago. Like yours, an awesome ride.

The Germans took the first '55 265 V8 and gained more power, read more rpm's, by replacing the friction bearings with anti-friction bearings and stiffer valve springs. They obtained 14K rpm. NHRA rulebook says nothing about bearing materials nor of piston coatings.
His name is Randal Klein That car rocks I just love those Super stock cars.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doug - It is a Go Pro camera. They are really pretty cool. It comes with a roll bar mount, adhesive mounts and a suction cup mount. The camera enclosure is waterproof too. I was impressed with the quality and price. It isn't anywhere near as much $$ as I would have expected either. I don't want to overstep any site rules so I placed a link in the You Tube video notes that will show you how much they cost.

XLexusTech - we run a Jerico and what most would call a soft-lock clutch. Ours is modified by Rob Youngblood at Advanced Clutches. Running a four speed in a drag car is so much better now with today's equipment versus modifying a factory trans. I've raced some fast automatic cars but a stick car is still way more fun in my opinion.

·
19,860 Posts
Figured it was ... buddy was selling them for $200 and rollbar mount was extra :yes:

They are great too... one guy posted his terrorizing the town, another was jamming on his 6-string.... they have a lot of uses too :yes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Randall Klein has one of the coolest SS cars around. If you get a chance to check it out the wagon is fast and extemely detailed. Look under the hood and you'll see a sheet metal intake manifold on that little 265!

You can see a picture of it here:

https://www.autoimagery.com/store/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=2002_NHRA_National_Event_Photos/Dallas_-_OReilly_Fall_Nationals_-_Oct_2002/Super_Stock&image=0241-0930.jpg&img=12&search=klein&cat=all&tt=&bool=and&tfile=tn_0241-0930.jpg&numtolist=12&sortfiles=2

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looks like the camera held up, but the audio just couldn't reproduce. :beers:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've heard that if you open the back of the waterproof enclosure on the GoPro camera that the sound will be recorded better. I haven't tried it yet but by it sounds like a possible solution that others have done sucessfully.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts