Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use those chrome in line coolant filters that go on the top radiator hose? are they junk? If they work, where can I get one, I havn't seen them in a while but I know they were out there a few years ago. My big block used to be a water well pump and I want to make sure any dirt from the well water that may still be hiding in the nooks and cranies gets caught in some kind of filter before it gets to my aluminum radiator. Thanks.......Tim

·
Super Moderator
33,290 Posts
You should being distilled water from the drug/grocery store. Better if Deionized water.

Well water has alot of iron and other minerals in it to cause rapid corrosion.

There is always going to be some sediment in the bottom of the radiator and in the banks of the block. Only way to remove 100% is to cook/hot tank the block and hot dip the radiator. You can get most of it out by removing the rad and having it clean. The block, you can remove the thermostat and housing and the drain plugs, good luck with those, and shove a city water garden hose into the manifold and crank the water on and leave run for several minutes. Then refill with distilled/deionized water and antifreeze.

JC Whitney used to sell those filters, but haven't seen those in ages. You can visit your local marine store and buy a zinc anode and replace the radiator drain petcock with the anode. The zinc is sacrificial and will prevent alum from corroding through electrolysis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor was only 2 years old so I got lucky, no rust. I did have the block hot tanked with all coolant plugs removed but the coolant pasages had so much dirt I just want to make sure it is gone. I have been thinking about using a remote coolant filter in the heater lines. The car has no heater so I could make a clean looking remote system. I would prefer to filter 100 percent of the water but I am sure just the heater hose system would get any remaining dirt out after a while. Also, if there is dirt, it may clog the upper hose filter "J.C whitney type" and overheat, so I should go with the remote spin on filter to be safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts