Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can tell me some good news.
Here is my problem , i had to drop my oil pan for a small oil leak .
When i was lowering the pan i heard a noise that should not be.
I reached into the pan and came up with a nut and washer , the nut was mashed and the washer was ok. they came from the cap stud. everything looks ok to me ,no torn up metal on the crank or anything like that .
should i just replace them and tork all the nuts just to be safe or should i be more concerined ? as a side note last season i would hear a noise that i thought was a lifter noise only on heavy acceleration , could this have been my noise ? any help would be great.
thanks
pete:mad:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
you found a nut and washer from a main cap stud in the oil pan?

You must be truly blessed.

You're gonna need to pull that cap and check the bearing. Get a new proper but and washer, maybe replace both studs, nuts, and washers for that cap.

Retorque all the mains just in case.

If that bearing and crank journal look good, you are truly blessed and good to go.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i`d also plastiguage the rod bearing in question ...hate to see it out of spec and spin when you could just replace an out of spec bearing and solve the problem...jmo...

·
Super Moderator
32,765 Posts
Probably an outer nuts since they are torqued less would b my guess.

I'm surprised there is not a hole in the pan.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, i droped the cap and everything looks good , no score marks or discolor , i will re tork after i get new studs and nuts . calling jegs tomorrow.
thanks again . now i'm off to buy some lottery tickets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts