Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with tears streaming down my face that I am informing you all that I may be selling the car. When battles start over whether or not I can work on it, then the time has come to consider letting it go. Seems my husband thinks sitting and watching The Disney Channel with the kids is the priority, and I cannot do the work myself, nor can I pay someone to do it. Based on the pics attached to my sig, what would be a fair price to ask for it should I decide to do so? There is a laundry list of parts that also go with it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
DON'T SELL IT!!!
We can help you through it. From what Ive seen on the work you said you did you can finish this car. Yea it's going to take allot longer, and be allot more work by yourself, but it's worth the effort. You'll be sorry and kicking yourself if you do.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Mary Beth,
Dont rush into a decision that you will regret. I believe I read your post a while back that you once were going to sell your car because you lost your job. Things worked out then and they will work out again. I have young kids too and try to balance my time, it isnt easy...I know..and for a mother its more difficult. Put the car on hold till you can work something out. Maybe schedule working on it at certian times and maybe some TC'ers in you area can help you out on occasion. If I werent so far away I would. People like us camaro nuts enjoy helping each other out and will pretty much do anything to avoid the loss of a car.

The Disney channel is all repeats after a while...I know its on 24/7 here. Like Jim said, put a tv in the garage if it gets that bad. Hannah Montana and Zack & Cody look the same in the house or in the garage. Kids will be outside more now that the weather is changing and watching less tv. Spend as much time as you can with your family and maybe get them involved with the camaro. If it takes longer to get the car done who cares ? Our cars are really never done !

Dont sell your car. Its going to be something you will regret. Figure something out.

Good luck

·
Registered
544 Posts
Take everyones advise. If the car sits for a while, so be it. There are plenty of stories and a thread called cars you wish you still had. Don't be one of them. Little by little get the car done. Like stated above.....our cars are never done.

Dave

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I hate ta say this MB, but just maybe it's time for another old man!!

My wife threw a fit about my old car and my $300, '80 C/10 P/U that I got to help my Son out w/ being in two of our three bays and I told her that when they go so does the house AND marriage!!

She shut the f-- up real quick!!

I also told her I had my car before I met her AND that I would have it a lot longer then her after a divorce except this time everything would be split 100 percent right down the middle, not like back in Jan. 2, 1980 when the kids were toddlers and I took it where the sun didn't shine!!

And ta think I married her twice too....................

I will never forget the words my Buddy Doc said after I asked him if he needed a room-mate b/c he went through it about 9 moths before me.

He looked out the door at my old S/W loaded down w/ everything I owned and came back in and said, Heck, not you too, Sure come on out, the dogs need company too!! I stayed w/ Doc for over three years and ta this day he's like my older Brother and I love him as such..

Talk about hard going to his second wife's funeral here a while back.. We hugged and cried like babies!!

Heck, girl, I figure that you will work it out so DON'T sell the ride!! EVER until you absolutely have to!!!!!!!!

pdq67

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Mary Beth, I will jump in and say I agree totally with the other guys here. This car is something you are passionate about, and if I lived closer you would have to claim me on your taxes as a dependant, for being there so much helping out. I usually do not get into someones buisness, but have your husband read our comments about this and possibly he will understand this is what makes you happy and maybe he will join in the fun. You my dear live in bizzaro world, where everthing is backwards. It is usually the wife who is not interested in the husbands hobby. Please do what you can to keep your car and stay happy, Mike.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Get rid of the Disney channel and the whole cable/satelite waste of time and money first.......:mad:

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Take a breath and stand back. If the car sitting is not an issue let it sit a while. The kids are the #1 priority. But working people desreve and need some personal time. Work a plan out with the Mr. The family is the important thing here. The kids do need both parents.

P.S. Don't take Paul seriously just yet.:yes:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If the project is to much to handle and is causing problems with the family, then you should sell it. Family is more important than some project car, and besides it looks like you have another classic in the garage to enjoy!
As far as value, hard to determine on an unfinished project, but will generally be alot less than you have into it, so prepare for a loss if you must sell quick.

·
Registered
601 Posts
in my opinion dont sell car unless you really need the money. it will only go up in value when you sell it or fix it when done.take some years to do as money comes along.my 67 camaro took 25000 to do so dont get under your head much or depressed.wait it out and maybe things will click for you. if you want to sell e mail me [email protected] or any questions you may have

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
...and besides it looks like you have another classic in the garage to enjoy!
I'm sure we're not hearing the whole story, and probably shouldn't. That other classic is hubby's, he a car guy too.

Hang in there MB, your friends are her with you. I don't know what flared up, but my hope is the fire will go out, and things in your life will get back to "normal" soon.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will take all of your opinions to heart, (most of 'em anyway...) And to those of you who contacted me on the side, thank you to you too. I won't bore all of you with the gorry details, but safe to say, hubby dropped the ball on this one. I got left in the garage in the middle of a planning discussion because one of the kids wanted to go play baseball. I came inside to find everyone getting ready to leave. Needless to say I was a bit peeved. (My head exploded...)

The thought of selling my car is devistating, but when the only think you have to depend on to get it back together is an assembly manual (learning to read it) well...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Keep it if poss...even if as said it takes a while...you WILL shed a lot more tears if you get rid of it...best of luck MB.

·
Registered
532 Posts
All I can add is I got my 68 years before my daughter was born and I haven't had any time or money to work on it since. (3yrs.). I will never sell it and it doesn't cost me anything to keep it in the garage. Someday I will get to it. It may be 10-15 years before it's the way I want it, but I couldn't afford to replace it then. So it sits and waits. I let my first 67 go and vowed I wouldn't regret that mistake again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I hate to go against the grain on this one, but MB.....I am going to say sell the car. If you are over your head on your project, it might be time to sell the car and put the money towards a complete or almost restored car that needs little to no work at all.

Project cars take time and a lot of work to get them together.....sometimes years before they are completed. If you don't have the help and the knowlege to restore a car, it makes it all the more harder to do. I don't know what your financial situation is at this point, but it takes alot of money to restore a car...sometimes more money than what you could buy a complete resto for.

If the car means alot to you then keep it. Let it sit for awhile, then work on it at your leisure. If it is causing problems between you and your husband and family.....it's not worth the headaches. Just sell it and find something already completed and ready to go.

I know it's a hard decision and it will be up to you to decide in the end.

·
Premium Member
10,164 Posts
Search for the GM factory "Helm" manual. They are worth their weight in gold! They are expensive but sometimes you can find one at a swap meet and they detail almost everything you can imagine doing to your Camaro.

Maybe you need to lower your goals for the car right now and just make it driveable and safe, or just let it sit for a while. If you can manage to schedule one or two regular nights week that are dedicated to working on the Camaro for two hours or so, that would get you somewhere pretty quickly. Or you can do an hour's work for four days a week on it, whatever works for your schedule. If you have regular scheduled times for project work it really helps.

But if he helps you for two hours, I hope you help him with his project for two hours in return. Even if my wife just sweeps the shop, I really appreciate her help in return for my working on her car, I feel like we are more of a "Team". If he sees it as just another Honey-Do list item, it isn't going to be appealing to him.

Please forgive me for offering advice when I don't really know you or him. Just take what you can use and ignore the rest. I do wish you good luck and say stick with your project, because the harder it is to finish the sweeter the success will feel.
David

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.