Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 1001 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would cronicle the rebirth of this sad sack 68 , a SS / 4speed car with deluxe interior . Plans include a 6.0 LS engine , automatic tranny (TBD) , with a 9" rear w/Calvert Racing leafs and CalTracs , DSE minitubs , and all new sheetmetal .

In the beginning.....

And now , after a round with the plasma cutter .....

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,623 Posts
WOW! and i didnt think it looked too bad i that first pic.

good luck, keep the pics coming.

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
The slotted mags are way cool!

good luck with your project.....mine looked almost exactly like your about 6 months ago. Still workin' on it-

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Shims, don't forget the shims!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I don't think you can strip it any furthur. A true re-birth. What is amazing is when they first built it, it only took hours. And they lined up the sheet metal in a few minutes. That always puts me away.

alan

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW , I'm amazed , first 5 responses to the thread and not a negative remark in them ! I think I'm going to like it here ! Seems like there's always one where they say " you can't do that " , " I don't think I'da done it like that " or " I've got a buddy that knows a guy that ......" LOL . BTW , YES , blasting and epoxy is the next step , I still have a few pieces to remove ( inner wheelwells , package tray panel , cowl outers , and floorboard / rest of trunk floor ) , but I think I'll wait untill after blasting to remove these because of moving the car in the current structural condition . As far as a completion goal , well ..... I kind of quit putting deadlines on myself , a year would be great , two years would be ok , besides , I'm in my element , I love this and it's my therapy . This is my 8th one in the last 20yrs and it's still fun ! Terry

These are a few pics of my last build

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot 1 thing , I bought all the sheetmetal from Firewheel Classics in Wiley , Texas , had everything I needed in stock . Great people to deal with , just called them , told them what I wanted , when I'd be there , hooked on to the car hauler and headed up there . I would highly recomend them to anyone and they will get all my business . Terry

·
Registered
72 Posts
Forgot 1 thing , I bought all the sheetmetal from Firewheel Classics in Wiley , Texas , had everything I needed in stock . Great people to deal with , just called them , told them what I wanted , when I'd be there , hooked on to the car hauler and headed up there . I would highly recomend them to anyone and they will get all my business . Terry
Great people! I went there once to check it out and bought some POR15 while I was there. Went back 6 months later, and they remember me and my project!
Great people to deal with!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Not to Hi-jack but I bought this car in April and worked on it on nights & weekends ,taking a month off not working on it at all because of the heat in August.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Out of curiosity, when you do a massive rebuild like this, what reference points do you use to hang the inner fenders, rear quarters etc. to make sure all the new sheet metal goes right where it is supposed to? I am pretty sure when the car was originally built, it was jigged together. Is the car built up with clecos with the frame on wheels so you can actually see it assembled before you start tacking and welding?

alan

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow great looking Nova. I've got a feeling the Camaro will turn out sweet based on that Nova. This post reminds me of the "Impressive metalwork" thread. I'll be following this one.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alanrw , the inner wheelwells attach to a fixed point on the inner structure , so as long as you reattach those back in the proper oreintation , their location is pretty well fixed . As far as the outer skin , you have more flexibilty lining up things with the panels mocked up with clamps , clecos ect. and you can tweak one or more panels at the same time to come up with the best lines . You will also be able to mount the trunk lid and doors and get them in the mix to try and setup the best possible gaps and alinement that you can among all the panels before you weld anything on . Even with all this you still may have to slice and dice a bit to get everything looking good . It's kind of time consuming but you ultimately end up with a better overall car if you get everything all situated in the beginning and it doesn't come back to bite you later . BTW , this is the first time I've been this deep into a car body , it's a challenge , but doable and I ain't skeered ! Terry

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well , I got a few things done today , decided to change the cowl ends (one was rusted ,one was dented) so I attacked the time consuming task of cutting all the welds and removing them . Not a hard job , just tedious , now I have to order replacements . I still have a lot of ceaning up the spot welds around the car and a little more metal removal around the edges of the panels . I cleaned up the drip well of the remaining top metal and spot welds also today . Just have to keep forging ahead on the nasty prep work and hope to have the body at the sandblasters this week sometime so I can start some constructive work instead of this destructive stuff . Terry

Took a few pics to share

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well , It's been a couple of weeks since I posted anything on this project , but I have been working on it . Got a few things done and I'm finally ready to blast it hopefully tomorrow . I now have all the sheetmetal to do everything , had to order the cowl ends , deep tubs , and package tray panel and have them here now . I've been busy cleaning up spot welds and removed remaing metal on the trunk panel and wheel tubs . I also did a little surgery on the hinge pillar and top of windsheild to correct some improper repairs . Here are a few pics of progress .

Repair on the hinge pillar

Top of windsheild

The deep tub and package tray panel

A few shots of the rear

So far It's been nasty no-good dirty work , but it's got to be done . I'm going to leave the floor in until I get the trunk area back in to keep some support for the location of the frame rails , but it has to come out before the installation of the tubs . I think I will put some more support off the cart to the rocker panels before taking the floor out , so far nothing has moved and the cart really makes it nice with keeping everything in place . I will post when I get her blasted and some epoxy on her . Terry

·
Registered
213 Posts
WOW, what an epic build. I just want to know...what lake was this car parked in? LOL. I just can't believe the amount of rust that was on it. Keep up the good work.

J.P.

1 - 20 of 1001 Posts