Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to car restoration but not metal work and fine detail I build AK-47's and AR-15's for a hobby. I'm not sure where to begin after my jig is built, do tear the seats out or remove front fenders first I need some pro advice. The rear end is gone and the front looks to be in ok shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
So I am new to car restoration but not metal work and fine detail I build AK-47's and AR-15's for a hobby. I'm not sure where to begin after my jig is built, ..................................
Or just maybe use it for target practice! Just kidding, happy to see that someone is bringing another 1st GEN back to life:beers:. Although I have not personally restored a complete vehicle in this type of condition there are a few guys on here who have and are still doing it now. I'm sure they will pipe in and give you the next steps after you secure it to the jig...good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Welcome to the build forum Scott! I love the title. :D

Try not to look at the project as a whole or you will get frustrated and burned out. Divide it up into small projects. Finishing each step will give you the confidence and sense of accomplishment to keep going. First, build your jig. Dismantle the front of the car to the firewall, and remove all the interior, glass, and anything else that is left. Take lots and lots and lots of pictures and bag and label any fasteners or odd pieces so that you will remember where everything goes on that glorious day of assembly. Then get the shell on the jig. Once you get this far, you should feel pretty good about the progress. From there, you can survey what you have and figure out the plan of attack. If you get stuck, just ask! There are a bunch of knowledgable and helpful people on here who will chime in.

Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Thank you. I have a question about the bel air bobs rear panel kit. Are the quality parts or no?
I think he can order most anything you want. I know he is a good dude, I have not done business with him but did speak at length about parts on the phone. There are some others that can chime in on the bette sheet metal parts being made now. Your best to find original sheet metal if possible or in your budget.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got my car home today and the two posts that were holding the rear end up by the frame rails wiggled out of place and where tom had welded the repair rails the weld broke and the leaf springs shot up now it looks like a low rider. I hope it won't mess with the shell structure.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
LOL... I just had to laugh at your thread title; "...there was a pile"

It is just amazing to me at what some guys are able to bring back from the dead.
I just wish I had some of those skills.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the good news is someone already did a great job on repairing the fire wall and cowl area, no rust and all new parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no hole someone patched it up with a horrible patch but the steering wheel has a place for a auto shifter

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Cool car! :beers: It has a lot of potential. This is going to be an interesting build project.

You mentioned that you were going to mount the car on a jig. That might be the only way to find the correct placement of the frame rails since they broke during the ride home. Make sure the jig you build has mounting points that lock the frame rails in the correct position. Some of the jigs I have read about are designed to have the frame rails lay on top of a horizontal bar. That will not be enough for your case.

This is an example of a jig that locks the frame rails in place.

You might consider replacing both frame rails because the weld broke and now will be the easiest time to do it. It looks like one was patched. Please consider replacing the floor pan. The torque arm boxes at the rear of the floor pan might have bent when the frame rails moved up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep both frame rails will be replaced and the floor pan is getting replaced also. I got the build plans for the firstgen jig does it lock the frame rails in place??

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
First Gen Jigs will lock the frame rails in place. The jig in the photos above is a First Gen Jig.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
LOL... I just had to laugh at your thread title; "...there was a pile"

It is just amazing to me at what some guys are able to bring back from the dead.
I just wish I had some of those skills.
Good luck with yours.
I chuckle everytime I read the title.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I am surprised the coupe owners did not answer. Take the driver side out first since you can see it through the hole in the quarter panel.

This is how I did it for a convertible:
I removed the entire assembly as one piece. This includes the glass and mechanical mechanism.
1. Remove the fuzzies at the top of the quarter panel. There is a small Phillips head screw that holds the fuzzie in place. The fuzzie also snaps into some rectangle holes along the top of the quarter.
2. Remove the Horseshoe shaped rubber weather stripping at the front of the quarter panel's B pillar. This might be different on a coupe.
3. Remove the window handle. It is held on by a spring clip that is located between the handle and the vinyl upholstery. There is a special tool that removes the clip. You might be able to remove it with two small screwdrivers. The spring clip looks a little like the letter "C".
4. Remove the rear seats.
5. Remove the rear side upholstery.
6. Remove the screws shown in the red circles. Once again this is a convertible photo.

There also a 1/4" stud at the bottom. Mine was just to the rear and below the black plastic hole plug that is circled red.

Once you get all the rusted bolts removed, the assembly will lift out the top where the fuzzies were removed.

I will email you an exploded view of the window assembly. It is for a Firebird but the Camaro is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Patrick has you on the right path Scott. If you look at the slots that look like 7's, I remember having to make use of those. I think you have to loosen the nuts and slide the whole regulator down into the bottom of the seven, and then manipulate the window glass up and separate it from the regulator. It will come out in 2 pieces. It's a little different that a 'vert because the roof will get in the way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts