Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I hope I've posted this in the correct place. If not my apologies.

I have a 67 big block and I need 1-2 inches more ride height at the rear to prevent tyre rubbing and scrubbing (rear tyre 275/60/15' on 15" X 8.5" wheel with 4 7/8" bs)
It's a mono-leaf set up, 10 bolt diff.
This will just be a temporary change until I get more time to perhaps install a multi-leaf set up. I definitely don't want to roll the fenders, or tub, at this stage.
I was thinking extended shackles? My question is; Do I have to get shock extenders to prevent the shocks from 'topping out" and if so....here's the dumb question....where do the shock extenders go? I've attached a pic of current shackle and shock (top/bottom).
Not sure if there may be a lowering block in there at the moment? If so, my first step will be removing it! (see pic)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Jon,

The aluminum blocks, red spring insulators, and over the axle u-bolts are not stock. Looking at that set-up in the photo, you should be able to get at least 1.5" lift by going back to stock. If you do plan on multi-leafs in the future, you will get some additional lift. I can't answer the question regarding shock extenders, but you won't need them if you start by removing the added equipment.

I am not sure if the wheel tire combo you are looking at will fit. The tire seems awfully big to try to fit without rubbing. With 4 7/8" backspace you will likely see rubbing on the inner fender well with articulation of the differential. I'm sure you have done research to make sure they fit.

Good luck.

·
13,854 Posts
Just remove the lowering blocks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jon,

you should be able to get at least 1.5" lift by going back to stock. If you do plan on multi-leafs in the future, you will get some additional lift. I can't answer the question regarding shock extenders, but you won't need them if you start by removing the added equipment.

Good luck.
Thanks Mike!
I don't have the stock equipment - I bought the car with current set up.
So are you suggesting I purchase stock equipment and replace what's currently set up for increased height?

·
Registered
355 Posts
or is this to take up enough space to be able to use the thread on the extended U bolts?[/QUOTE

Correct. You don't need the blocks unless you run out of thread to snug up the u-bolts. No need to go back to the factory configuration since you plan on multi-leafs in the future. The stock set up did not use u-bolts with the mono-leafs. There were studs attached to the perch that run through the bottom bracket secured with nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts