Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out early Sunday morning and nearly freezed my butt off as I could not get the driver side vent to close. BTW, I have only had the car for two weeks.

Upon closer inspection it appears that the entire mecahnical essembly for the vent flap system is missing, all that is left is the vent control handle, no flap, no wire to operate it.

Anyway, my question is; I have found new inner kick panels for $89.95 @ Amercian Restorations Part.Com and it looks like there are only five screws to make the replacement/installation. Am I correct? Has anyone done this, am I missing anything? BTW, I was thinking of replacing both sides at this time since the passenger side panel is pretty banged-up.

Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
John -

Search here for "remove kick panel", and you'll get a bunch of good info.

You'll have to drop the parking brake assembly on the driver side, so that's another screw and two nuts under the hood. Don't need to disconnect the cable; you should just be able to zip tie the whole thing out of your way. The heater box can be an issue on the passenger side, but you can usually wiggle the panel out.

Undo the five screws and the sill plate in the door opening.

Then dust off every curse word you know, and maybe ask around and learn a few new ones. The kick panels have a plastic tube on the back a few inches long, with a lip at the end that just barely fits in the opening in the metal. The factory sealed these with a big rope of non-setting sealer, so it is likely still stuck in there good if it has never been pulled before. There may or may not be a pry bar involved in freeing the panel from the sealer. The panels need to come straight out until the lip on the tube clears the metal.

Ask here about the quality of the repro kick panels; the 69 panels are not good, as the screws at the top (in the door jamb) don't go in the factory location, so you have to drill new holes. I don't know about the 67-68 panels.

Make sure you put a similar size rope of sealer back in, or you will get wet feet on those occasions it rains down there. You can try to reuse the factory goo, if it's not too grimy to roll. You can also use electrician's putty from HD or Lowes.

So, it's not quite just five screws. Never is.... :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good luck. I fought with those things for almost a whole evening until I finally got them out. Broken that is. Let us know if you figure any simple ways to get them back in. The Electritians putty is nice to know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.