Team Camaro Tech banner

Inspired to wire

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BOOGIES 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking for opinions and direction, I know there's a few that would rather french kiss a hornet before messing with the wiring of a car, but I for one find it relaxing and enjoyable, of course I like french kissing Hornets, with that said, I'm about to dive into the world of wiring tools, and that's the part that scares me.
Not knowing which brands are better because price usually dosen't determine the best performance in some cases as I've found on many items.
With the knowledge here, I'm just looking for opinions from experience in the field on the best bang for the buck in the area of Crimpers and fittings, Deutsch, weathertight, barrel type connections.
Looking at some of the higher priced crimpers with replaceable jaws, I'm staring 3 Bill's in the face to handle four types of fittings, or would it be better to purchase a tool for each fitting separately.
If you have a favorite that in your opinion, actually works and holds up and felt it's worth the money, that's what I'd like to know,
I appreciate all the guidance here, it's helped alot.
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I have two sets of crimpers.

1. Astro Pneumatic 9478. It crimps the Delphi weather pack style lugs. The dies can handle AWG 22 ~ 14 gauge wire. This one is for the modern day connectors that can be exposed to water and heat from an engine.

2. Astro Pneumatic 9477. It crimps the forked, ring and spade lugs. The dies can handle AWG 22 ~ 12 gauge wire.

Both have ratcheting handles and different dies. I used them to rewire my car. They will crimp the connectors used on the American Auto Wire harness.

I am not sure what crimper is best for Deutsch connectors. Deutsch costs more than weather pack. The patient expired so there will be cheaper knockoffs in the future.

#4 ·
I have ratchet crimper and Taylor wire crimper.

I like wiring cars and these 2 have done the job on many Camaros and Chevelles plus.

Almost every car I build if the wiring is the least bit substandard or jacked up I chose to rewrite the entire car.

I like American Autowire

Reactions: 130fe
#5 ·
I'm looking at putting all new ends on the wiring I have, the wire for the most part looks in pretty good shape, I like the idea of the weathertight fittings and the newer style fittings because they seem to emit less RFI as compared to the older ones.
I've been trying to read up on the difference in these connectors as to determine which would be best for my application as well as the tools needed to do the job right, I think I'm learning towards a separate crimper per style fitting.
It's all a new ball of wax to me but being an 9ld amateur ham radio operator I think I'll enjoy it, as long as I don't burn it to the ground like Sheryl's she shed.
Leaning towards the ratchet style but I think I would prefer a release on top of the handle instead of underneath, maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it would seem more convenient that way.
After reviewing so many reviews, it seems to me a lot of companies are posting their own reviews as customers, this is why I'm reaching out to y'all because nothing is opinion is better than hands on knowledge of the people that honestly use them, good or bad.
Not really too concerned about barrel and but connections because most of my connections will probably be switched out to weathertight.
Looks like a lot of practice will be needed before I comfortable with it which it seems to always return to, there's a proper tool for every job.
My biggest problem is trying to figure out how to eliminate all the positive wires at the battery,maybe a hidden multiple relay box or something.
I have made grounding cables out of marine battery cables from the engine to the battery to the chassis and body.
Msd super conductor wires, dielectric grease on all fittings and wires,heat shrink on every solder connection,any shielding advice will be greatly appreciated.
The sniper seems to come with inadequate shielding to it's CPU so we're left to do it for them by dam near rebuilding the entire wire system, I bet they got the idea from Steve Jobs...!
Thanks for everything so far,the wealth of knowledge here is simply amazing .
Thanks,Stan

#7 ·
I never had a reason to talk to the company. They do have a website:

http://www.astrotools.com/contact

They have an 1-800 number. Their tools are distributed by Snap On, Matco and others.

I am impressed by their air tools. They work and last. Much better quality compared to Ingersoll Rand. This weekend I took apart my Astro die grinder to clean it. There are no plastic pieces in the tool. Nothing was wrong with the tool, I just clean it every once and a while.

The quality of my pneumatic air tools helped me decide to buy their crimpers. So far I have not been disappointed with the crimpers. Ratcheting crimpers do not rely on the human to have a calibrated hand. They will not under or over crimp the connector to the wire. My only complaint is the dies are stamped with the metric size and I have to translate the stamp to the equivalent AWG size wire.

They do make a crimper for the Deutsch style connectors. It is model 9479.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.