Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a 454 w/T400 tranny into my '69 Camaro soon. Do the headers go in bolted to the engine or should I lay them along the sides of the engine bay and then install the engine? Thanks for your help.

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just finisfhed doing the same in my 67. I used my small block mounts with Hooker competition headers. I had to lay them into the compartment first. I also had to "Ding" the headers a little around the PS gear box. Hope this helps....

------------------

·
Registered
102 Posts
JonT,
Check out my post under "Engine installation"
I tried to do what your talking about but,the headers got in the way. It might have to do with the 2" prinaries, power steering & my lack of experience.
Dan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry about the spelling. 2" primaries, not prinaries. It's a typing problem
:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put my 454 in and then the headers, one from the top and one from the bottom. had to leave the plugs out and take my time. I've had them off a couple of times since,(to undercoat, and clean) and put them back on the same way. you have to have the car up pretty high to get the one in from underneath, that's how i did it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed Blackjack AK5000 headers on my 69 with the 454. It is a tight fit, and didn't require any modification of the headers. The only problem was they had to be installed at the same time as the motor. IE: Drop the motor 1", raise the headers .5" and so on but they did finally go in and clear everything. If the car were raised high enough as mentioned in the previous post, you may be able to install them after the motor is in place but that wasn't an option for me. I used the big block engine mounts which may account for the tight fit. I would recommend you have a good cooling system because the big block and headers will build up quite a bit of heat in that confined area.

Larry 69 Coupe 454/5speed

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had to tie the driver's side header in place on the fenderwell before installing the engine. The passenger side header was a breeze to install with the engine in place. I did leave the spark plugs out until the headers were bolted in place. I've never tried installing the driver's side header from the bottom as zappo did, but now that I think about it, that might work. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks much for the advice everyone - sounds like the driver's side is the problem...makes sense. Wish me luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts