Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done this before and have any tips on it. I'd like to not have to butcher the car too much. I have heard that I should use small block mounts in place of big block mounts to keep the engine sitting higher in the frame, any truth to this. Also any suggestions on an oil pan that will clear the frame.

------------------
73 Chevelle SS 454
75 Camaro 396
64 VW Powered by CHEVY

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
check out the stuff on your 454 camaro. look at the heater core also, i think it may be more to the left in a BB car.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Second gen Camaros don't need any special bracketry for a bb far as I know. P & A books show the frame brackets are the same as 350.

Use a 4 quart pan. Corvettes & trucks I believe use 5 quart.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No heater or A/C, so that is no worry. i just needed to know if the motor mounts sit the engine far enough forward to clear firewall, without extensive surgery and if they will keep the motor high enough in the frame so as a oil pan will fit and not have to custom make one.
Thanks

------------------
73 Chevelle SS 454
75 Camaro 396
64 VW Powered by CHEVY

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
It will fit just fine with the small block mounts. The last BB I dropped in a camaro was a 468 I built out of a '78 Chevy 1 ton truck into a '73 camaro. We had an old crusty set of headers laying around that we used with no problems...unfortunately I have no idea what brand they was. The car retained the heater box and the PS also.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

1 - 5 of 5 Posts