Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating installing a LS3 525 HP Crate motor in my 69 Camaro.
Interested in correct pan, motor mounts, tranny mount for a 4L60E, cooling, radiator, headers etc. Brands, part numbers, prices if you have them.
I dont want long headers that hang way down because my car is lowered. I have shortys now. Selling my Procharged FI, 454.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I did all the new Holley stuff, very happy. Long tube headers tucked way up in. Oil pan flush with bottom of subframe. Check out my build thread. Since someone finally came out with matching components I'm not sure why you would do anything else on a new build.

No cutting with a 4th gen T56 either. Driveline angles are spot on.

Others that use the GM pan and Dynatech headers, they hang way down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bob,

I went with all Hooker / Holley products, as they are made to work with each other for best fitment / ground clearance. I went with 1-3/4 long tubes as my LS3 is the stock 430hp model motor. The thread below is what helped me decide on the Hookers, and they sit just slightly lower than the frame rails. You also need to use late model clamshell motor mounts with the adapter plates to achieve proper fitment. The Holley 302-2 is the oil pan you will need. Part numbers for the headers, tranny crossmember, and adapter plates are all listed in the thread. (see #15, #17 & #20 posts in the thread for part numbers).

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/104524-Opinion-on-headers-for-my-lowered-69-Camaro-w-LS-motor

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Sammy

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I was looking for. I figured the Holley -2 pan was the one. Would had to get the engine all the way in to find you cannot steer. I think I will be going with a 4L60E tranny. Getting the right length headers is critical.
Thanks for the advice.

·
14,081 Posts
I have a 4th Gen T56 in my car with LS7 and TCI front subframe. I did have to modify tunnel.

I also just dropped an LS2 with a 4L65E (same case as 4L60E) into a 69. It worked fine however I did have to do some minor tunnel modding to provide clearance for the tranny cooler lines and fittings

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Would had to get the engine all the way in to find you cannot steer.
Wish I had changed out my steering box to an IROC prior to installing my LS1. You may want to consider this as well unless already covered with the Ridetech Suspension..

·
14,081 Posts
The 4L60E is not going to handle that LS power without some mods.
The 4L65E is the tranny that what used in SUVs that had tow packages.

The 4L60E will work depending on TC, the tires used and rear end ratio. If you are not not to put sticky tires or slicks and hammer it you'll be ok

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
14,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts