Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a job is it to rebuild a Muncie 21 for someone who has not rebuilt a manual transmission? I have had alot of mechanical experience. Is this a job I should tackle? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Warren

·
Registered
574 Posts
Warren,
I certainly won't tell you what job to tackle but I can offer you some advice. Ive been building muncies since I was 17. It can be done with common tools but its a pain in the a$$. First off in case you have no clue on how to get the side cover off, grab the 1st & 2nd gear shift shaft with an adjustable wrench and turn it to the 2nd gear pos., the forks will now be lined up for removal. Front retainer nut has a left hand thread, alot of guys grab that thing start loosening and dont relize there tightening it. Another helpful hint is the use of a shop press to remove the mid plate all the way through 1st and 2nd gear including the hub and slider. I could go on and on, theres alot of tricks to it but its not that difficult. Check out www.gearzone.com . The administrator put together an assembly/disassembly video that I hear is pretty good. If you run into any problems feel free to Email me.
Rich

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey Warren,

I have a muncie M-21 trans w/ Hurst comp+ in my camaro. It works great except sometimes it pops out of 2nd gear when i get off the gas. Am i correct in thinking that the 2nd gear sinc is bad? If so, is it something i can live with or is it something that i should fix asap? How much trouble would it be to fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Warren, its not that difficult and you don't need a press. Get the video from gearzone. Best $25 you'll spend.

I rebuilt my first muncie a year ago and it works like a champ. Biggest pain was cleaning up the case and all the parts. Everything else was really easy. You'll need a snap ring pliers.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts