Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone provide some information on installing a factory style tach in a 69 Camaro that did not originally come with a tach or gauges? Parts required? Moving other parts like the fuel gauge?
thanks

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Eric has provided a link that some of us have responded on. I did this last yr. to my 69. I added a repop tach and added a console center pod. Then added an Autometer fuel, volts, oil pressure and water temp. gauges to it. So if you went that route you would need a tach, console pod, gauges, wire, and connectors (solder and heat shrink opt.). Do a search on "daisy chain" to do your wiring. It takes a little time but works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can take the factory fuel guage out and put a tach in its place.
If you don't want to put in console guages, a fuel guage can be
installed in the space between the speedo and the new tach. I
put both in a while back, a good 8 hours for the pair. The center
fuel guage will hook up to the existing harness, but you'll have to
wire in the tach. I got both units from Rick's Camaro, about $350
for the pair. It's a good idea to buy a template to cut out the
back of the fuel guage opening to install the tach, it's a real job
without the template. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You don't have to buy a template. Members have posted a template on this site. Just make sure you have the mirror image one. And have it blown up to correct size at Copy Works. The outer dimension will need to be cut down about an 1/8" so that it fits in the carrier, but will give you the correct spacing for the mounting holes. That is the important part so that it fits in the carrier correctly. Paste the template to cereal box cardboard. It will make it easier to work with. Also make a couple of copies just in case you mess up a template. But measure twice and cut once. It's not a bad job at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts