Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no connection for this wire in the new setup and no mention of it in the documentation or schematics. Is it okay to cap off and leave unconnected?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Super Moderator
32,351 Posts
Yes, I would fold it back against itself and shrink-tube it to protect it and to be able to use later in the future.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
By brown generator wire, you mean the one that used to be for the "alt" idiot light? This wire is an "exciter" for the alternator. If it is not attached to +12v through a 20 ohm resistance (the bulb) the car will not charge.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It plugs into the cluster and I traced it to the "GEN" light. I bought the Covan setup and there is no mention of a brown wire nor is there a wire to connect to. If what you are saying is correct, thn what should I do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I just called American Autowire (they supply the wiring with Covans' setup) and the tech said that the brown wire will cause no harm if it is capped and that it should be. It is the brown resistor wire with the white stripe that comes off the block that should be left alone. The solid wire going to the cluster is powered if the resistor wire trips, which means there is an alternator failure or some other problem.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Originally posted by JimM:
By brown generator wire, you mean the one that used to be for the "alt" idiot light? This wire is an "exciter" for the alternator. If it is not attached to +12v through a 20 ohm resistance (the bulb) the car will not charge.
The bulb may measure 20 ohms cold but it will be more like 200-500 ohms hot. If you install a 20 ohm resistor, the 7.2 watts that is disipated would fry your eggs quite nicely.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Please see my post from a couple days ago titled "Help.. Burned up two alternators". If you have a modern alternator (specifically a CS) you have to have a resistor on this wire or you'll burn up the alternator instantly. If you are running another alternator you can sometimes get away without the resistor. I'd invest the $1 and buy the resistor now that the exact resistance of the GM supplied resistor has been posted. It is roughly 500ohms and can be acquired at any electronics store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts