Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just finishing my front end rebuild, I have alot pics documenting installing the front coils, unfortunately I dont know how to post pics, can someone teach me about posting multiple pics...
thanks
JC

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Hey guys I just finishing my front end rebuild, I have alot pics documenting installing the front coils, unfortunately I dont know how to post pics, can someone teach me about posting multiple pics...
thanks
JC
JC,
The first thing you need to do to be able to post those pics.....get a free photo hosting account from www.photobucket.com. You will upload your pics there and you then attach them to your posts here using the

button using either the IMG /IMG code or using the direct link method. Get that photobucket account then practice posting pics in the Test Drive Forum.

David F.
www.firstgens.com

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,785 Posts
If the pics are on your computer you can attach them by going advanced and useing the paper clip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok lets try this'

I picked this tool up from Oriely's part number 67050

you wont need the fork

remove this clip, but not the washers

also your going to have to loosen the pin on the small leg(but not to loose), you'll be removing that leg when your done in order to remove the tool from the spring

insert the tool thur the shock hole, make sure washers are on

small leg goes in the inside(closest to the engine, make sure your spring is properly seated on top, now start compressing this tool is really well made, i didnt use a chain and I didn't feel I needed one. continue to compress your spring until it clears the arms spring pocket

with a jack raise your lower arm, and use a pry bar to push the spring in place, connect your spindle tighten your balljoints and start uncompressing your spring, now remove the tool.that's it your done, i'm doing the drivers side on monday i'll take some pics of removing the tool from the spring....

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
thanks Doug and 1969 prostreet, for your info on posting pics.
You're quite welcome JC!!!! Glad I could help as I'm going to be doing a spring swap and disc brake upgrade on my '69 in a couple of weeks so your pics will be very useful to me....thank you for posting them :yes:.

Kind Regards,
David F.
www.firstgens.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I have a few questions here...

I'm installing new front coil springs and aftermarket, tubular control arms on my '67 Camaro as well.

My questions are...

The stock coil springs that I purchased (eBay) have a "tighter" wrapped coil on one end and a more "loosely" wrapped coil on the other end. Which end goes up into the frame and which end goes into the lower control arm spring pocket? There are absolutely NO markings what so ever on the springs.

Also, I noticed in your photos that you have a red insulator in your lower control arm. Do you have one up in the frame spring pocket as well? Is it absolutely necessary to have these insulators? My tubular control arms didn't come with spring insulators, but the springs are coated with some sort of plastic/rubber coating.

Any information would be greatly appriciated as this is my first suspension rebuild!

Thanks!
Donnie-D

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,785 Posts
Ok, I have a few questions here...

I'm installing new front coil springs and aftermarket, tubular control arms on my '67 Camaro as well.

My questions are...

The stock coil springs that I purchased (eBay) have a "tighter" wrapped coil on one end and a more "loosely" wrapped coil on the other end. Which end goes up into the frame and which end goes into the lower control arm spring pocket? There are absolutely NO markings what so ever on the springs.

Also, I noticed in your photos that you have a red insulator in your lower control arm. Do you have one up in the frame spring pocket as well? Is it absolutely necessary to have these insulators? My tubular control arms didn't come with spring insulators, but the springs are coated with some sort of plastic/rubber coating.

Any information would be greatly appriciated as this is my first suspension rebuild!

Thanks!
Donnie-D
This thread was a few years old...but :D

Stand the spring on end....whatever end stands it straightest is the top.

The isolators are not required, but sometimes the steel on steel will create creaks and groans which the isolators help stop. You may be fine for a while (or longer) since they're coated ?
I've only used them on the bottom, when I did.

·
Premium Member
‘67 RS
579 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread but since it has to do exactly with the title I'll ask it anyway. Is it possible to install springs without a compressor? I took them out using a floor jack under the control arm but I understand that the angle of the control arms might make it too tricky (dangerous?) to put back in the same way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Are you sure the springs you have are for a Camaro? Tighter wrapped at one end (as in A LOT tighter - like a beehive) then you may be looking at an A-body rear coil spring. The tighter end on an A-body fits the spring perch on the axle.

Got any pix of said springs?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread but since it has to do exactly with the title I'll ask it anyway. Is it possible to install springs without a compressor? I took them out using a floor jack under the control arm but I understand that the angle of the control arms might make it too tricky (dangerous?) to put back in the same way.

I've always had to use a spring compressor. If the springs that came out were very old (like originals) then they were probably pretty compressed and that's why the front end didn't jump when you separated the ball joint.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts

You can and we've done it on unmounted bare subframes using a chain and a jack. If this is your first go at this then use a compressor.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,785 Posts
I've done in half a dozen times and no spring compressor.

Just be sure to safety chain it incase things go wrong.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,164 Posts
You can actually borrow a spring compressor of the type shown in the pic above from Auto Zone and maybe other parts houses. It is part of their tool loaner program. You pay for the compressor up front and they reimburse you when you return it. I have changed countless sets of coil springs using this type of a compressor and NEVER had a need to disassemble it as was described above. The hooks go towards the top of the spring and the fork plate towards the bottom. About 3 coils in on both. Follow the instructions that will be included with the compressor. You may have to pry the coils apart to remove the hooks. Just use common sense. If you are installing lowering springs, it is possible you may not need to compress the spring. Just hold it in the upper seat and swing the lower control arm into position with a floor jack. Here's a link explaining the different types of ends on a coil spring.
http://www.eatonsprings.com/cuttingcoilsprings.html

·
Registered
614 Posts
A trick I learned is to remove the lower control arm bolts, set the spring in place, and use a jack to lift the lower arm straight up until you can reinstall the bolts. This keeps the spring straight. Of course a proper compressor makes it easy but there are other ways. I still run a chain thru the upper arm, spring and lower arm, at least it looks safer that way.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I just removed and installed springs 4 times in the last week trying to get the ride height I wanted. In and out under 15 min. per side.Support car under rocker pinchwelds. Floor jack under lower A arm. Unbolt spindle and tie rod. Release jack and spring should fall out, separate with a pickle fork if it doesn't pop apart on it's own. Putting back in, set the top of the spring in the upper pocket the correct way lining up the end of the coil about 3/8" from the hole. hold it in position and jack up the lower arm until it will just hold the spring in place,double check the top position then while wearing a heavy boot, laying on your side give the bottom of the spring a good hard side kick to push it into the lower A arm pocket. Jack up the lower a arm,drop spindle over the ball joint and put your bolts back on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts