Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting the pass side fender back on my '69. Its original to the car. The wheelwell housing was not removed when I took of the fender, however I do remember some tugging on the fender to get it seperated from the wheelwell housing. To re-install I figured the wheelwell could be loosened up to give more room for the fender to move over the top or I could remove it , install it on the fender and mount it as a unit. What is your experience with similar work?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I do them as a unit.

Reactions: srode

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the heater core good ?
easier change with fender off
Its gone. I am installing a Vintage Air system. That is why the fender was removed. The VA and heater hoses will be routed between the fender and the wheelwell housing and then through the blower motor/fan opening.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The VA and heater hoses will be routed between the fender and the wheelwell housing and then through the blower motor/fan opening.

are you making a plate for the blower motor hole with individual grommeted holes for the VA & heater hoses or just running those through the open motor hole?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you making a plate for the blower motor hole with individual grommeted holes for the VA & heater hoses or just running those through the open motor hole?
The VA kit comes with a block off plate that covers the opening and has four holes with grommets for the hose to pass through.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am putting the pass side fender back on my '69. Its original to the car. The wheelwell housing was not removed when I took of the fender, however I do remember some tugging on the fender to get it seperated from the wheelwell housing. To re-install I figured the wheelwell could be loosened up to give more room for the fender to move over the top or I could remove it , install it on the fender and mount it as a unit. What is your experience with similar work?
I made mistake of having paint guy to install fender before I installed inner fender well and it is almost impossible without removing fender and installing both as one unit. I did it but it should not have been done that way

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made mistake of having paint guy to install fender before I installed inner fender well and it is almost impossible without removing fender and installing both as one unit. I did it but it should not have been done that way
I didnt think that was possible. Im sure you cant remove the wheelwell without removing the fender. Your paint guy must have been secretly cursing you..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didnt think that was possible. Im sure you cant remove the wheelwell without removing the fender. Your paint guy must have been secretly cursing you..
He didn’t know on the gen one you have to install as a unit we both learned a lesson. I did get the inner wheel wells on wi fenders already on but i would not recommend anyone ever try again

·
Registered
186 Posts
I put both fenders on my 69 with the inner fenders already bolted loosely in place. Hooked the wheel opening lip under the inner fenders and then lifted the fender up to get it over the edge of the cowl and into place. Probably easier to do it together though.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Damn. On the 2nd gen you can deal with the inner separately. I need to pull the heater out of my 67 for repairs, I assume I need the inner out if the way to do it.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,658 Posts
I searched and searched for a way to remove the heater without removing the fender when I installed the VA and finally gave in and removed it. If you're going to do it, mark the hood hinges well with tape. I wound up using pilot holes to make sure the fender and wheel well section went back where they belonged. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But have at least two people on hand to play it safe. I taped over every edge of the fender, door, cowl, upper valance because my car was already painted and the last thing I wanted was a scratch or chip.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Installed mine as a unit. Didn't spend a lot time aligning because it was headed to the paint shop and would come off again for paint. Just put them on for transport. Put the rear sheet metal in the truck while my friend drove the 68 to the shop.

·
Registered
Now a tribute-1968(L30/M20) Z-28 Black stripes/white, 350, M22,12bolt. WIP since 8/1979
136 Posts
Interesting post, when I installed my Vintage Air I know the fender was off and I installed a new inner liner. Damn if I can remember how I did it???

·
Registered
1967 Camaro RS/SS 350 Convertible - Original colors of Granada Gold exterior and gold interior.
14 Posts
I am going through this right now installing AC in my 67. I gave the car to a body shop where they have a young man that has put AC in several Camaros. He somehow managed to get the old heater unit out and the blower motor “block-off plate” installed by moving the inner fender forward far enough to do the job. Before that, I was resigned to thinking the outer fender had to be removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts