Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instructions call for a wire that gets hot when the ignition is switched on. What's the best location to get power? Should I splice a wire or plug into the fuse block. Please be specific with your answer. I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum.

TIA,

Anthony

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
The resistance wire comes off the ignition block or plug, I would not use that terminal, but use the keyed and fused terminal off the fuse block. I did. To me , this small red wire is basically feeds internal MSD box to close contacts for the larger red wire for fire. You need full 12 volts here.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
the resistance wire is the cloth covered wire that is connected to your + on your coil.
you must remove this wire from the engine harness plug (you wont get a full 12 volts if you use it)
and solder a wire to that terminal on the engine harness to replace the resistance wire.
just connecting it to any keyed wire will cause problems (I fried a wire doing it that way)
GM intended that the igniton wire is in that spot for a reason and it will be evident once you look at the ignition wires which are 12 ga pink wires off the ignition switch in the steering columb.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
The original harness uses a white fabric covered wired to supply power to the + terminal on the coil. It was in the engine harness, and ran from the bulkhead connector to the coil.

In a lot of cases, this wire got cut, removed, or bypassed when someone converted to electronic ignition.

If you can't find it, you can run a new wire from the IGN terminal on the fusebox.

Do not use the ACC terminal, as this is not hot in "start"

69 wiring diagrams are here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576

1 - 7 of 7 Posts