Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
If you are concerned about authenticity, then leave the strips off. I have read that the tank might squeak without the strips. I don't know if that is true.

My tank did not come with the strips. I used weather stripping with glue on one side. I lined the straps and put four strips on top of the tank. I was worried about metal to metal rubbing that would scratch the paint as start a rust spot.

There is a self tapping screw that fastens to the end of the strap. I replaced it with a 1/4x 20 nut and bolt. It is a little stronger. I hate sharp points that make me bleed when I work under the car. All hardware I used was stainless steel so that it would not rust. If you use stainless hardware, don't forget the Never Seize on the bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I almost mentioned that they weren't originally on top of the tank.

But if you're doing some OEM build and running Bias ply tires and all, I'm sure you would have had the factory assembly manual and some restoration books.
If you're just fixing up your car running non OEM radial tires and taking advantage of other improvements they've made in the last 50 years, may as well throw the straps on top since you have them,why take a chance on a potential squeak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts