Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the picture below is something that I don't know the name of. If you look about and inch above the cone shaped end peice that I believe holds the "driven gear" you will see a peice that looks to be chewed up pretty badly. I need coments, and suggestions on what to do if the peice needs to be repaired. I also need to know how this goes back together. I am guessing that the white screen looking thing goes in the hole of the cone, then the driven gear, and the whole thing goes back into the tranny.

I stopped by the shop that rebuilt my tranny today to explain this and he told me that it is suposed to be that way so that the clip (that holds the driven gear) can go in. I don't have a clip if needed, and don't remember one coming off. I remember last time I was at the shop that they start drinking around noon. This was at about 3pm. Hope the tranny holds up.
Incase it matters this is a TH350 in a 69 Camaro.

Thanks, Darren

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well that contraption you have is a Gear Ratio Adapter with a speedo bullet still inside it. The 'chewed up' piece seems to be part of your speedo bullet. Luckily this is a $4 part at transmissionpartsusa.com. Here is a clean picture of the speedo housing bullet. Notice you are missing the rubber o ring that would seal this unit to the transmission case to prevent fluid from leaking past it. The indented area of the housing allows for a small metal bracket to clap into with one bolt on the side of the transmision to prevent the bullet from coming out. That Plastic insert SHOULD NOT BE USED, I've never ever seen that filter screen used in this application!!! Looks like someone used it to adapt a too large of a bullet orifice to the driven gear. Your speedo gear should should directly into the bullet without any adapter. I also don't see why you have the gear drive, with a correct drive and driven gear you should not need it! Here is what the Gear Drive is for 'This GM / Dodge / Ford ratio adapter will slow your speedometer reading down. Made for low rear end ratios with short tires. Offset for clearance reasons. If your GM speedometer reads too fast with 15 and 45 teeth gears then you need this part. This part will slow down your speedometer reading.'

Btw when reassembling, install a new bullet with oring into the transmission housing, slide the retainer bracket into place and tighten the small bolt that holds the bracket, then screw on your speedometer cable onto the threads of the bullet that are visible.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian, this helps out a lot. I don't know what a gear drive is that your talking about though. Which part is the gear drive? Are you saying that all is need is what is shown in the 3 pictures that you have there?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
First picture = Speedo Housing, this holds the speedo gear
Second Picture = Gear Drive Reduction, this slows down your speedo. This is used if you have say really tall gears out back 5.11 for example with 20" tires. This slows down the speedometer. I'm guessing the previous owner added it instead of changing out the drive gear.
Third Picture = Speedo Housing Retainer clip, this slides into the notch on the bullet to prevent it from coming out

What is your rear gear ratio and tire size? What color is the drive gear inside the speedo gear hole as you look inside?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure what the rear gears are now, but they will be 3.73s. Its a little dark, but I believe that the gear inside is brown. I will follow up on this when I get back into town on Friday. Thanks for the help Brian.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well we have Pink (7), Black (8), Green (9), Natural (10)

I'll need to know exactly which one it is when you look as well as the tire size you plan to run for the rear then we'll get you the right driven gear # to use and you can order a new bullet, retainer clip, and driven gear for a few bucks and be done.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian, I called the trans place that you mentioned and got off the phone in worse shape than I was before I called (I"m sure my description was bad). My car has the natural colored drive gear. I will be running 3.73 gears with 275/65/15 tires. Do you recomend transmissionpartsusa? Thanks, Darren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts