Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my motor put back together on my original 68 350 and did not know about the crossover passage on the intake till now. There still there (not pluged). My question is can I still plug with a brass wedge style plug (what size)? or will just getting the right heat shield/gasket combo work?
Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Like Moonpie stated, the new Fel-Pro intake gaskets I just picked up have the tin shields.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks.
As far as the carb gasket itself. I am running a original quad.
Does the gasket i use make a differance?
I have two styles. (1) 4 hole with crossover cut into it and (1) 1/4 inch thick one hole style???

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Nice thing about the thick gasket is it has plastic thingys in each bolt hole that keep you from overtightening. Also gives more "cushion" to take up any minor surface irregularities on the manifold or carb.
Oh,use the one hole to avoid any possible mismatch between gasket and carb venturi holes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kn intakes
Cold air intake is mainly a device which brings comparatively cooler air, to the car’s internal combustion engine, and thus, increases the engine power and efficiency. Air intake systems contribute to a substantial increase in the horsepower. This is an inexpensive way to increase the efficiency of your car engine.

Cold air systems have four parts. They include two mandrel-bent aluminum piping, one billet-aluminum MAF adaptor and one high flow filter. These systems generally tend to add 3-5 horse power, to the engine. The sound wave generated by an intake system and its frequency varies greatly, depending upon the length of the system; the longer the system, the lower the frequency. With all the usual intake systems, as the RPM increases, the inlet valve opening also increases accordingly; but the length of the inlet tract remains constant throughout.
I like fram

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Got my motor put back together on my original 68 350 and did not know about the crossover passage on the intake till now. There still there (not pluged). My question is can I still plug with a brass wedge style plug (what size)? or will just getting the right heat shield/gasket combo work?
Thanks

I take it you are talking about the carb. heat cross-over in the Intake Manifold ;)
Yes, you can (prefered) drill/tap them to 1/4NPT and install two (2) 1/4" pipe plugs - or (other method) you can install regular brass 'freeze-plugs' in them (IIRC they are 7/16" plugs ...).
Make sure to coat either type plug with some Permatex #2 sealer before installing to assure sealing.

Your original carb. used a steel shim as a heat block (installed first directly to manifold) and then a four hole gasket over that to seal carb. bottom.
Here's a link to the steel shim and gasket types - http://quadrajetparts.com/gaskets-q...ainless-steel-heat-shield-020-thick-p-97.html

·
Registered
245 Posts
... or (other method) you can install regular brass 'freeze-plugs' in them (IIRC they are 7/16" plugs ...).
Make sure to coat either type plug with some Permatex #2 sealer before installing to assure sealing.
Is there any issue using steel cup plugs instead of brass? I was planning on doing this and all the local NAPA had was the steel plugs. Any tips/tricks to install the cup type plugs?

Also, how does the Permatex #2 hold up to the heat in that area? It's supposed to be good to 400 F. Do you think there would be any benefit to using a high-temp RTV or epoxy?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I always used brass, just 'cause I had them ...
Then I changed to using pipe plugs 10 or so years back.
I don't see any reason you couldn't use steel, there is little if any moisture in this area to effect them.

I've prefered Pematex - #2 over #1 usually, unless it's in a place like this where I have little worry of having to remove them for 'service' work - as a sealant for higher heat and moisture areas like this.
I've never had a leak due to it failing from heat here.

Thank's John for posting the illustration pics :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,566 Posts
I did the same thing as John Z in the pics above on my 69 350/300hp intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts