Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hope someone can educate me here. I'll be assembling my engine soon and wondering if typically when you zero deck your block do you need to machine the intake for a correct fit. I'll be using new uncut aluminum heads.

To add to my question, I have a line on an intake that was machined to fit heads that had been flat milled .075", would it be a mistake to think this intake would fit my zero decked block but uncut heads?

How does this puzzle go together? The price is right on the intake but not if there's no chance of it fitting right. What do you think, would I be better of with an uncut intake and go from there?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
would I be better of with an uncut intake and go from there?
IMHO Yes, The cut intake may open a large can of worms for you.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The way it was explained to me a while back was that any time you cut the deck the angle/relationship to the intake is changed also since the head sits lower.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Any combination of milling over .030 you will start to have intake manifold fit problems. You never cut the intake if at all possible. You always try and cut the intake side of the head. By doing it this way you avoid having an intake that fits that engine only.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I cut my heads .040, and had to hog out the intake manifold bolt holes a schosh to get it on. I just took a dremel and raised the holes untill I could get the bolts in. I imagine there is a bit of a mismatch at the top / bottom of the ports, but haven't addressed it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think I'd already talked myself out of it. Sometimes a good deal just isn't that good of a deal. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
You just may get by w/ using a double thick set of intake gaskets if you can try that intake with the stipulation that if thick gaskets won't mount it, you get your money back..

pdq67

PS., and I'm talking like 3/16" to maybe over 5/16" thick such that they actually turn into gasket-spacers!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts