Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do a cam swop on my 327. I have an Edelbrock air gap manifold with vortec heads. Edelbrocks instructions say to use only GM gasket # 12529094 which I did and have had no trouble.

I seem to remember that the gaskets are supposed to be reuseable. Has anyone had any experence with this?

I used to just throw away instructions after I installed the item they came with. I now put EVERYTHING in a 3 ring binder. Sure makes things a lot easier. :D

Dan.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
It depends on the gasket and how easily you can remove it. A gasket needs to crush to seal. Most paper gaskets are crushed beyond reuse. Others have rubber ribs around critical passages that you *may* be able to reuse.

I look at it this way. How much would I pay someone to fix an intake leak after I got the motor back together and found a problem? Not that I wouldn't do it myself, but I sure be spittin nails wishing someone had the grief. Chances are it's a hellova lot more money (and time) than what intake gaskets costs. Get my drift? ;)

-dnult

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The GM gasket is fully re-usable. Just clean off any old oil or sealant but be careful not to damage the blue sealing rings. Tighten the intake bolts to 11 ft-lbs. in a x-cross fashion working from the middle to the outside.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. With the low torque called for on the intake bolts and sense you guys confirm that they can be reused, I will carefully inspect them to make sure they are perfect and reuse them. If I see anything that even looks worn I will buy new ones.

Dan.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I pulled my intake Monday night and the gasket looks like brand new. I planned on using them again but I started to get nervous. I bit the $30.00 bullet and bought a new set today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK I give up witch heads can use that gasket???

Starfox

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've reused my plastic felpro ones atleast 6 times.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starfox, the gaskets are for Vortec heads. (intake manifold gasket)

Dan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts