Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm looking to ad an intake manifold and throttle body to my 98 LS1 Z28. Can anyone recommend and good combo i should go with. I heard aluminum intakes holds heat and to stay away from those. Looking to add a cam soon. Comp cam xfi rpm hydraulic roller. Lift: .522"/.529 Duration @ .050": 212/218 RPM Range: 1200-6000. I have most of the major bolt ons so far. Any and all comments are welcome.:confused:

SLP Air box Lid
SLP Cold Air Induction Package
K&N Filter
QTP Long Tube Headers
3.42 Gear
GMMG Chambered Exhaust
Custom Y-Pipe No Cats
Smooth Bellow

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What's a good intake and throttle body set up for my LS1 Z28 with the mods listed above. I've looked into a few like BBK SSI-Series, FAST, Weiand and Holley set up. should i go with 80, 85, 90 or 92mm?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most people I know with 4th gens are running the Fast 90 Intake and TB. They also have upgraded heads and cam with that combo too.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I wouldn't waste time swapping in that tiny cam. Put a bigger cam in it. The 224/230 cam is always a great choice for streetablilty and power. If you have an automatic, you will need a converter, but if your car is a six speed you'll be good to go. Personally, if I had a six speed car, I would put a larger cam in it and run a 4.10 gear. Alot of guys run texas speed's magic stick 3 cam and are very happy with it. As far as intakes go, you can upgrade to an LS6 intake and a ported throttle body or go all the way and get a fast intake/tb 92/92 setup. A friend of mine gained 33 rwhp on his heads/cam trans am by upgrading from an LS6 intake and ported tb to the fast intake and tb.

here is a video of a magic stick 3 car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. guys. Should i rebuild my bottom end? I was told that the pistons and everything else in a stock ls1 bottom end may not hold up if i change my heads and cam.

·
Registered
247 Posts
LS1s are wonderous motors and generally hold 550-600whp pretty safely. How many miles are on it? I agree with the above statement of going bigger cam. You'll wish you had. That is tiny for these cars. A heads and cam(H/C) LS1 should make a minimum 400whp on a dynojet and be fine with power, durability and reliability. The intake setup I would suggest is the FAST 92/92. I have the 90/90 on mine which will work if you can find a good used setup. My buddy has a 04 GTO H/C/I/E Procharger(10psi) w/ meth. Making 670whp on stock bottom end LS1 and has been for a few years. If it's an auto, you will need a converter, I'd suggest a Vig 3600 or Yank 3800 and add a tranny cooler. If it's a manual, you're good to go with a good clutch.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks for the info. guys. Should i rebuild my bottom end? I was told that the pistons and everything else in a stock ls1 bottom end may not hold up if i change my heads and cam.
Not necessary. I would recommend upgrading to ARP rod bolts if you plan on spinning it past 7K rpm on a regular basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts