Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Edelbrock Performer RPM 7104 QJ manifold for my 69 350. I was just going to pull the air cleaner assy, carb, dizzy and the manifold and put it back together but a friend of mine says I need to drain the block first or i'll get water in the block, is this correct? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Almost. If the heads are staying on, you don't need to pull the block drains, but you do need to drain everything that will come out of the radiator.

The front of the manifold (the thermostat?) has coolant running thru it.

Before you pull the dizzy, take the cap off, and put a mark on the body where the rotor points. Then shoot a straight line off the vacuum advance can to the valve cover of something, and put a mark there. When she goes back together, line up both marks, your timing is set.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I bought a Edelbrock Performer RPM 7401 QJ manifold for my 69 350. I was just going to pull the air cleaner assy, carb, dizzy and the manifold and put it back together but a friend of mine says I need to drain the block first or i'll get water in the block, is this correct? Thanks guys
yes, there is water in the intake and when you take it off it will go in engine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you remove the thermostat and drain some of the fluid from the rad. You should be able to remove the whole thing. The trick is getting the fluid level down some that is in the heads before you remove it. You will get some in the valley but not the blunt of what was in the top end.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost. If the heads are staying on, you don't need to pull the block drains, but you do need to drain everything that will come out of the radiator.

The front of the manifold (the thermostat?) has coolant running thru it.

Before you pull the dizzy, take the cap off, and put a mark on the body where the rotor points. Then shoot a straight line off the vacuum advance can to the valve cover of something, and put a mark there. When she goes back together, line up both marks, your timing is set.
Thanks for the advise on the dizzy Jim. I'm going to take the air cleaner assy off and take a bunch of orientation pics, if I sleep inbetween the time I take it apart and the time I put it back together I'll forget everything, lol. I'm going to completely drain the radiator and put fresh antifreeze in it anyway since it's winter and it's a good time to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts