Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure where to put this so I will start here. I installed my intake manifold using felpro gaskets. Should I trim off the part of the gasket that is not under the manifold? Just for appearances, it seems that it would look nicer without exposed gasket. Since they are already installed it is probably too late to trim them.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You can trim them, I never have, I would rather have the gasket sticking out and knowing it's sealed, than trim it too thin or just trim it and later down the road a vacuum leak occurs.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to trim them how would you recommend I do it? These gaskets are pretty tough.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
If you use a Felpro 1205 (vs. the 1204's you have) the material showing is at least black ...
The heat cross-over is also blocked ;)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. I tried these and an exacto knife. They would not cut through the metal part of the gaskets. I also tried my dremel. It worked better but I had a hard time getting close to the manifold. Maybe I should try a different tool in my dremel. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Now this it just me, but if something like that bothered me enough I'd just remove the intake, buy another set of gaskets, trace out the intake on them, trim them, then install. I say that, but more than likely I'd wind up ruining a bunch of stuff first before giving in.

The more you try to get through that metal core, the more likely you are to mark up the intake and the head. I know I would and then I'd wind up having to put new gaskets in and repaint the intake. It looks like you need to hit the port side of the heads with some paint anyway.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions. I think trimming them now that they are on the engine is just going to ruin them. I could buy a new set of gaskets and start over but since this is just a cosmetic issue I think I will hit them with some chevy orange and call it done.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I think trimming them now that they are on the engine is just going to ruin them. I could buy a new set of gaskets and start over but since this is just a cosmetic issue I think I will hit them with some chevy orange and call it done.

Agree. I just rebuilt with the Aluminum intake and the blue just stands out. But, with everything put back together I hardly notice or care anymore! I've noticed over time and engine heat, the blue tends to get darker...I could've hit them with some aluminum paint but decided to let it be.

Hey, at least I know they are new :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The non-metallic felpro intake gaskets would be much easier to trim btw. They are called Printo-seal I believe. Mr. Gasket has the non-metallic called ultra-seal too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts